Bog Oak Jr Celticus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

I've been wanting to try one of these. The pen body is basically a jr gent 1.

I got the finish just the way I like it for bog oak on this one.

Attachments

• image-1940975149.jpg
    image-1940975149.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 304
  • image-827092680.jpg
    image-827092680.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 303
  • image-1425316778.jpg
    image-1425316778.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've been wanting to try one of these. The pen body is basically a jr gent 1.

I got the finish just the way I like it for bog oak on this one.

Beautiful Pen Dan!

The black wood and the kit are a great match. I have some Bog/swamp oak that looks the same, so this is a great match.

What was your finish? WTF?

Take Care, Mark

Dan Masshardt

So before I've tried no finish, ca and pens plus 4 or 5 coats. I wasn't really happy with any of them.

Normally I like ca for pens but as others say, bog oak is a bit different.

I wanted to protect it a bit but not really put any finish on top of it per se.

So for this one, after each grit of sandpaper I used a drop of pens plus. Then sanded with the next grit. Did this up to 600 then hit it with 800 abranet with no finish after that.

Put a little bit a rennasaince wax on and buffed out on the lathe.

Very easy.

Very nice Dan. Love that finish it really shows off that wood nicely. Looks natural and that wood definitely speaks for itself.. I had not seen that hardware either but it looks good with that wood that is for sure. Great job as always.

Argo13

So before I've tried no finish, ca and pens plus 4 or 5 coats. I wasn't really happy with any of them.

So for this one, after each grit of sandpaper I used a drop of pens plus. Then sanded with the next grit. Did this up to 600 then hit it with 800 abranet with no finish after that.

Very easy.

Dan,

I've seen you an others talk highly about pen plus before and want to give it a try sometime. Here is my pen. again sorry my camera and lighting are crap but you should be able to get the idea. I seal the wood with CA after remove saw dust with denatured alcohol. the sanded off the top coat of CA. I finished with Behlen"s WTF and Rennasaince wax.

I love this style pen. And the Celticus really compliments the wood. Now I need to figure out how to take a good pic.

Attachments

• IBO.JPG
    IBO.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 175
Hey those are practically twins. Dan are you sure you made that pen? :biggrin:

Very easy.

Dan,

I've seen you an others talk highly about pen plus before and want to give it a try sometime. Here is my pen. again sorry my camera and lighting are crap but you should be able to get the idea. I seal the wood with CA after remove saw dust with denatured alcohol. the sanded off the top coat of CA. I finished with Behlen"s WTF and Rennasaince wax.

I love this style pen. And the Celticus really compliments the wood. Now I need to figure out how to take a good pic.

Ogg

Dan that's a good looking pen. I think you finished it the right way what with it being Bog Oak.

I've been looking at that kit for sometime and have been interested in seeing one done and was wondering your opinion of the kit. I'm an Irish folk musician among other things and have been thinking of this pen as a gift for other players, but was looking for someone's overall opinion of quality vs. price. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Masshardt

Dan that's a good looking pen. I think you finished it the right way what with it being Bog Oak. I've been looking at that kit for sometime and have been interested in seeing one done and was wondering your opinion of the kit. I'm an Irish folk musician among other things and have been thinking of this pen as a gift for other players, but was looking for someone's overall opinion of quality vs. price. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The quality is okay, but not spectacular. If you are familiar with the jr gent 1, that's what you have on the pen tube. I think it would look a lot classier with chrome threads instead of the black enamel.

The stuff on top that is decorative is nice. Good but not the best either.

There is a bigger one that is Cambridge like with the Celtic accents that looks much nicer even but is close to. $20. Still not bad.

OZturner

Beautiful Work Dan,
Superb Blank, and a Intriguing Pen Kit,
Your Fit is Excellent, and your Finish is Ideal.
You will have a lot of people trying it out.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Ogg

Dan that's a good looking pen. I think you finished it the right way what with it being Bog Oak. I've been looking at that kit for sometime and have been interested in seeing one done and was wondering your opinion of the kit. I'm an Irish folk musician among other things and have been thinking of this pen as a gift for other players, but was looking for someone's overall opinion of quality vs. price. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The quality is okay, but not spectacular. If you are familiar with the jr gent 1, that's what you have on the pen tube. I think it would look a lot classier with chrome threads instead of the black enamel.

The stuff on top that is decorative is nice. Good but not the best either.

There is a bigger one that is Cambridge like with the Celtic accents that looks much nicer even but is close to. $20. Still not bad.
Hey thanks much. Your description is pretty much what I had in my head when I saw them at the site. I'll look at the larger one, but might just get into doing a Celtic ring segmented blank instead.

Thanks again...

mmyshrall

Dan,

Nice job on pairing the blank to the kit. I agree with your choice of going with a matte finish on this one. CA would have ruined it in my opinion.

Michael

walshjp17

That is one spectacular pen, Dan. I do like that you opted for a natural finish on the IBO rather than a CA or other glossy finish. The flat/satin finishes really let the IBO shine.

I made two of these for my brother-in-law (an Irish organ builder) and when he showed them to his mother and brother in Dublin, he lost them:eek:. I'm now going to make him the larger Celticus version for himself as long as he promises not to show it off to anyone in The Old Sod.:biggrin::wink:

Top Bottom