Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
A buddie's family in Ballecastle in Co Antrim, Ireland happens to be in the peat business.. apparently all aspects of it...
I recently purchased some bog oak from him... and not that trapazoidal 5/8" stuff that is on eBay... these are perfectly square, very dry and 18x18x135mm... each pieces varies from about .695-.715" square... They did not realize that we like bog oak for pens.. he has been selling it to carvers for making Irish artwork...
As a test case I purchased 10 blanks and the colors varied from deep dark charcoal black to a nice mix of light and dark striping... 2 pieces of it had minor cracks that I just drizzled some thin CA into and it fixed it up real nice...
Now for the real exciting part, I am getting some more in this size and he also cut me some pieces that are 25mm square (just over 1")..
Here is a Chrome Perfect Fit that I made from one of the pieces I got.. Unfortunately it ain't cheap in these sizes, but I think I can get a decent supply..

200510519110_BogOakPF2.jpg

Here is a picture of the 25mm Bog Oak I bought, it is being shipped tomorrow ...

2005105192029_25mmBogOak.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Tom,
Great looking pen and wood! If you decide to sell some let me know.

JimGo

Nice Tom! You gonna start importing and selling it? If you can get some radiocarbon dated, the wood will probably sell pretty well!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Nice Tom! You gonna start importing and selling it? If you can get some radiocarbon dated, the wood will probably sell pretty well!

Already working on the radiocarbon dating...
And if there is enough of an interest I will consider importing it... the 18mm should not be too expensive, but the 25mm will be a lot more.. but then again where can you get bog oak big enough to do a Statesman..

PenWorks

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Is Tom going to sell it? Is the Pope Catholic? (Consider all appropriate apologies extended to all offended or those who may be offended in the future.) [}:)]

I think he is Polish.....
No, maybe German now.....
I want a recount ! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom