Bodark (Osage Orange/Hedge) Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rossvh

rossvh

A friend gave me some Bodark (also known as Osage Orange or Hedge) and wanted a couple pens. Very hard wood (and very yellow) that turns beautifully.

RossVH

Attachments

• DSC_1067.jpg
    DSC_1067.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC_1069.jpg
    DSC_1069.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 415
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

it is one of my better choices of wood to turn, and crosscut is even better, but requires a sharp tool and patience. nice pens by the way.

putnamm

Ross,

Can you tell me how you did the finish? My son just turned his first osage orange pen today. I am trying to get my kids more interested in woodworking. But where I'm failing is with the finishing. We cant get anywhere close to that shine. And orange is his favorite color, so he was really excited to find a wood in his favorite color. I showed him this picture, and he was very impressed! Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mark

rossvh

Ross,

Can you tell me how you did the finish? My son just turned his first osage orange pen today. I am trying to get my kids more interested in woodworking. But where I'm failing is with the finishing. We cant get anywhere close to that shine. And orange is his favorite color, so he was really excited to find a wood in his favorite color. I showed him this picture, and he was very impressed! Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mark
I use 5 to 6 coats of medium CA and then wet sand them with micro-mesh from 1500 to 12,000. Then I use HUT Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish to cover any small scratches.

I apply the CA in thin even coats and lightly spray NCF Quick accelerator after each coat. Do not get in a hurry here. Let the CA set between coats (several minutes).

I've done over 500 pens this way and if you use fresh CA you should have no problems.

Good Luck. Let me know how it runs out.

RossVH

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful pens. !!

Finishing is... tough! And it changes for every different blank, and every different season (humidity in your shop...). Find your comfort zone, then tweak pretty much all the time. :rolleyes:

I prefer to "wet sand" with Walnut Oil and abranet 180 - 600. Then go to Pens Plus; or Danish Oil ( MM - 12,000); depending if I want a shiny finish or a matte finish. I rarely do a CA finish. And to complicate matters... At times I use a thin CA finish x2, then sand and finish with PP or DO.

Good luck!

rossvh

Beautiful pens. !!

Finishing is... tough! And it changes for every different blank, and every different season (humidity in your shop...). Find your comfort zone, then tweak pretty much all the time. :rolleyes:

I prefer to "wet sand" with Walnut Oil and abranet 180 - 600. Then go to Pens Plus; or Danish Oil ( MM - 12,000); depending if I want a shiny finish or a matte finish. I rarely do a CA finish. And to complicate matters... At times I use a thin CA finish x2, then sand and finish with PP or DO.

Good luck!
Interesting Mark! I totally agree with the change in temp and product, but now you got me thinking about other finishes. Thanks!
RossVH

SteveG

Nice choice in the wood for your pens. Osage Orange is one of those timbers that just look great, without any fancy figure or burl. It is in a small group of timbers that one can make that claim for, such as lignum vitae, and some iron woods. Nice work!

putnamm

Ross,

Mark
I use 5 to 6 coats of medium CA and then wet sand them with micro-mesh from 1500 to 12,000. Then I use HUT Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish to cover any small scratches.

I apply the CA in thin even coats and lightly spray NCF Quick accelerator after each coat. Do not get in a hurry here. Let the CA set between coats (several minutes).

I've done over 500 pens this way and if you use fresh CA you should have no problems.

Good Luck. Let me know how it runs out.

RossVH

Awesome. Thanks very much. Do you sand in between the coats of medium CA?

Kenny Durrant

Great looking pen. I like the wood and make pens and calls for friends that like the outdoors. It's a pretty nasty tree with lots of thorns that people hate to have around but it makes for nice wood work. It will also turn a bronze color as it ages.

putnamm

No I don't - unless I messed up when applying the CA.
RossVH

Thanks, Ross. I tried your technique last night and it worked out great. When I showed my son the results, he got excited to make his next osage orange pen. Really appreciate the suggestion.

-Mark

putnamm

You're welcome! Having 2 pen turners in the family sounds like a ball!
RossVH

My boys are twins, so there are three of us! One of them just really took to the osage orange wood for some reason... The other one is a fan of maple.

Thanks again.

-Mark

TurtleTom

Osage Orange was planted here in Oklahoma after the dust bowl by the many thousands. They are one of the best trees for a wind break.
The wood is very sensitive to UV and will turn darker over time, almost impossible to stop. Get ready for it.
I sit mine in the window to just go ahead and do it.
It is also the US champion for weight at 58 lbs ft3. Ok, the desert ironwood is heavier, just pretty rare and very expensive.

Top Bottom