bodark(aka)osage orange.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

guts

this stuff really shines in the light and easy to turn.

20061214225616_100_0604.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Hi Bill,
Awesome work! So that's what osage looks like on a pen. I used to "hunt" for it along the road but I've never gotten a chance to turn any. Gorgeous stuff, but it cracks like crazy. It's in the same family as the mulberry, which is why they're both yellow, I guess.
Rob

reef12

Nice pen great wood nice finish.

Kicking self now father had two of these trees in his backyard could of had pen blanks for 100 years who knew.

But was not turning pens then.[B)][8)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Hi Bill,
Awesome work! So that's what osage looks like on a pen. I used to "hunt" for it along the road but I've never gotten a chance to turn any. Gorgeous stuff, but it cracks like crazy. It's in the same family as the mulberry, which is why they're both yellow, I guess.
Rob

Cracks? I sell the stuff and use it. Cracking has never been an issue for me.

gerryr

Nice looking pen and good work. Keep this around for a few months and compare the color to this photo. My only experience with OO was an Olympia I made and put in a museum gift shop. After a few months, it was brown except where the CB covered part of the wood.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Nice looking pen and good work. Keep this around for a few months and compare the color to this photo. My only experience with OO was an Olympia I made and put in a museum gift shop. After a few months, it was brown except where the CB covered part of the wood.

Yes, like almost all woods, it does darken with UV exposure.

arioux

Hi,

Very nice pen.

Don't want to play smart guy but by bodark, you probably ment "bois d'arc" wich is the french name of OO. "Bois" is wood and "arc" is bow. It as this name because the osage indian used this wood to make their bow so when the french started to import this wood in Europe, it was known as "bow wood" or "bois d'arc" in french.

Well that was the history part of the show, now back to the original program (post)[:D]

Alfred

MikeHelvey

This is one of my favorts too... picked up a random piece of firewood one time and it made some beautiful pens. Still looking through the fire pile for more. ;)

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by arioux
<br />Hi,

Very nice pen.

Don't want to play smart guy but by bodark, you probably ment "bois d'arc" wich is the french name of OO. "Bois" is wood and "arc" is bow. It as this name because the osage indian used this wood to make their bow so when the french started to import this wood in Europe, it was known as "bow wood" or "bois d'arc" in french.

Well that was the history part of the show, now back to the original program (post)[:D]

Alfred

The difference in pronounciation is like "po-ta-to" and "po-taa-to". Bodark is a well-known and acceptable pronounciation and name for the tree/wood. Bois-d'arc is acceptable also but considered a bit snooty by some. It means 'bow of the arc' as in making an archery bow from the wood, for which it is admirably suited and still widely used to day. Osage orange is probably the most widely recognized name and that is why I use it in my offerings and discussions. There are probably a dozen other names for the tree/wood also. 'Hedge' is one, 'hedge apple' is another, there are many more.

Alfred,
In Texas Bois d'Arc is pronounced "Bodark".. Actually, until I started turning pens, never heard of Osage Orange since that was the only name we ever used for the wood. I know that after a "Bodark" fence post has dried, you almost can't drive a steeple(Staple) into it to hold the "bob-wire"

OO will turn a tan/brown color as it drys. I had a few limbs cut from my step-father's ranch that had some dark green rings in the wood.. used it all up and can't get anymore since I moved to TN..

Bill,
Same sentiment as all the posts... really like what you did with the pen.. nice color and good choice of the fittings. I like the contrast. I made a Bodark(OO) as my PITH.. I just a little sap wood on the side.. I thought it turned out very nice.

I've done a couple of duck calls from Bodark... first one was grabbed up the minute I laid it out.. the second one sold pretty quickly too.

guts

thanks to all,chuck,i have some very dark bodark but not sure about the green rings,will have to look and see,if i find any i'll keep you in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom