Bocote and more!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe S.

Joe S.

Here are a bunch of pens I did:
DSC_0366.jpg
DSC_0369.jpg
DSC_0370.jpg
Baron in Bocote with a finial and custom band. I wanted a nice round bead for the band but didn't want it to stick out a ton. I'm not sure I like the compromise I came up with... This one is a gift for my cousin who likes "bright contrast-ey things". Maybe I should have gone with an acrylic, but this one definitely stands out! I may switch it out for a fountain pen...

DSC_0386.jpg
Bocote Zen. The fit is a little small, but I still kind of like this one.

DSC_0367.jpg
DSC_0368.jpg
Apollo Infinity with Alt. Casein. The cap could be better, and there is a small crack, but my mom likes it and is keeping it.

DSC_0391.jpg
Stratus with Walnut and Maple Burl. This one really shined up!

DSC_0372.jpg
DSC_0373.jpg
DSC_0375.jpg
Last and maybe least but still cool: Duck Hunt Bolt Action. I'm still rough tuning my process, but these are a lot of fun to make! Problems to be solved: Colors still aren't quite right, there is an ugly seam, and there is a lighter spot near the top that I need to figure out and eliminate. I'll make a better one, disassemble this one, reuse the kit, and repeat until I can't find anything to improve!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
A outstanding group of pen. If I had to pick one it would have to be the Baron. Your fit and finish on all the pens is top notch

Krash

Nice bunch of pens Joe. I like the Baron best.

Bob.

I agree with Bob.

As far as the custom-made round bead band, less and understated is almost always better. It was the first thing I noticed .... just enough to make it stand out from the rest of the crowd. Nice touch!

Kelly

Great batch of pens Joe. Your proportions are spot on and fit and finish are right there too. That casein pen really stands out to me, but the bocote also stands out. Anyway great job on all of these that is for sure.

OZturner

Joe,
The Baron in Bocote is Beautiful
The Bocote on Zen, is Relaxing in it's Simplistic Style,
The Apollo Infinity with Casein, is Out of this World,
The Stratus with Walnut and Maple Burl, is Masterful,
While the Brass Bolt Action, in the Duck Hunt, could definitely benefit from
Re-think.
Excellent Fit and Finish
Congratulations,
Brian.

OZturner

What kind of rethinking do you mean?

Joe,
My thoughts are,
The Brass Bolt Action, doesn't POP for me with a predominately Sky Blue Blank, they just don't look like they are meant to be together.
I appreciate your associated idea of the Duck Hunt Blank with a Bolt Action Kit.
But I feel that a Cartoon style Blank, would be better suited on another style of Kit.
I might be Straight Laced, but IMHO I feel that a Bolt Action Pen kit associates to a serious natured object, whereas a cartoon body doesn't complement that serious association.
As stated, these are just my thoughts, and I respect that many may disagree.
Regards,
Brian.

Joe S.

That's true about the brass, maybe chrome would go better. I've always seen the bolt actions as a "fun" kit, so I thought it would be perfect for this... Maybe not, but I don't want to give up on it yet. Maybe I should try on a sierra or an "uninterrupted" bullet kit...

Top Bottom