Bocote Modified slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As my last mod slimline was stolen, I turned this today and it is safely buried in the backyard where it will not be found. Ha Ha, I showed Wifey!!!

I added the hidden clip with the accent cap. Had not tried that before, so it was nice to try it.

Brass center ring, Berea Slimline, bocote body and ebony cap.

C & C welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_3364.jpg
    IMG_3364.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sprung

Mark, I like that a lot. One of these days I need to start messing around with slimlines again - I've saved one of your pictures for a little inspiration!

magpens

Looks great, Mark !!!!!

Did you discard the finial ? . Or maybe you used it and then glued the (recessed) cap on top.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks great, Mark !!!!!

Did you discard the finial ? . Or maybe you used it and then glued the (recessed) cap on top.

Oh my, but you are sharp :):rolleyes::):good:!

It was intended to be a closed end top section with a full Bocote blank. But, life intervened and I blew through the top cap and needed an "opps segment".

I turned a slightly larger section down to the brass tube on the cap, and glued the ebony piece on and finished.

I was very disappointed as the grain on the Bocote was great right through the closed end. However, I am still happy with how this turned out.

Good eye Mal!!!

magpens

Well done, Mark !!! . Whatever you did, it looks superb !!!

But I would still like to know if you used the finial to hold the clip in place, please !!! :confused::):)

Or maybe you don't want to tell the whole story ! :biggrin:

You see, I want to make a copy of your design, and I want it to be accurate !! :biggrin:

Call it "plagiarism", which is the greatest form of compliment !!!!!!!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well done, Mark !!! . Whatever you did, it looks superb !!!

But I would still like to know if you used the finial to hold the clip in place, please !!! :confused::):)

Or maybe you don't want to tell the whole story ! :biggrin:

You see, I want to make a copy of your design, and I want it to be accurate !! :biggrin:

Call it "plagiarism", which is the greatest form of compliment !!!!!!!

Hi Mal: I did not understand your question!

First thought - as to plagiarism:

I am not one who agrees with the thought that you have to create a "unique" result to be an artist. That is an unfair discredit to all the artists, musicians, etc who ARE TAUGHT FOR YEARS AND YEARS to practice, master, and emulate the works of "The Masters."

Vercocchio is a lessor known artist who "taught" a student to emulate his knowledge... Leonardo da Vinci.

Students for many decades have studied and practiced the works of Paganini. Good luck!

Wynton Marsalis is skilled as both a Classical Trumpeter and a Jazz artist. And he learned his trade practicing the work of "The Masters."

My point: We should take/master anything we can from the works of others (it will make us more skilled artists), give credit when credit is deserved, make improvements whenever possible. And as often as the opportunity arises - TEACH!

Oh, Have FUN!

Now to answer your specify question:

I blew out the top section while trying to turn a complete Bocote closed end.

Hmnnn; design opportunity. :good:

There was a 1/8" section of the blank visible. I turned down the remainder of the top cap to have a 1/4" section of the brass tube showing. I cut, drilled and glued-in the ebony cap onto the upper blank. (I cut a 3/4" ebony cap, and drilled a "J" size drill to 5/8" depth).

Oh, before I glued-in the top cap, I cut a slot in the ebony cap segment. Approximately 3/16" wide. I used a Dremel sanding disk (but a file would have also worked; taking longer, but possible more accurate).

I used the stock clip, and cut the ring off immediately adjacent to the clip. The final piece was basically the clip and a short right angle piece that would extend into the top section to the brass tube. Approximately 3/16" wide.

After all sanding, finishing, etc. I glued in the clip with 2 part, 5 minute epoxy. I tried thin, medium and thick CA; all were not acceptable for me (user error I'm sure). The epoxy allowed me to glue it in without buggering up the finish on the ebony.

I am happy with this!

Last edited:

eharri446

I was in Woodcraft today and they have a 15 pack of what is supposed to be 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" Bocote pen blanks for $10. However they all appeared to be 1" x 1" x 6".

They were for the most part pretty nice looking blanks.

magpens

Thanks a lot, Mark. . You have been very thorough in your reply. . And thanks for your patience through my persistence ! :redface:

I now understand that the finial was not used to hold in the clip.

But I think I will use the finial in my "imitation" and glue the ebony piece over top after drilling a slight recess in the bottom of the ebony to accept the top of the finial.

Thanks again. . I'll post a picture, but don't expect it in a hurry :biggrin:

Last edited:
Another great modified slim! You seem to have a knack for turning an ordinary slimline into an elegant and beautiful pen that can hold its own when compared to the more expensive kits.

Jay

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was in Woodcraft today and they have a 15 pack of what is supposed to be 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" Bocote pen blanks for $10. However they all appeared to be 1" x 1" x 6".

They were for the most part pretty nice looking blanks.

I had not turned Bocote much before this pen. But, I do like the grain features.

I will say this: For a single blank pen - Bocote will look great. For 2 blank pens, you will need to pay attention to the grain pattern (a more detailed discussion), to insure either the starting twist or the end point of the twist will result in a pleasing alignment. If the blank is cross-cut or others, then my recommendation does not matter.

For me, this was a nice timber to work with.

robutacion

I will be bugged...!:eek: I would not have noticed a thing, if you hadn't tell, I reckon I stick to my original thoughts, you've done mighty well, it looks pretty good from where I stand...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

wood128

Great looking slimline pen with that bocote wood and the matching inline grain ......not an easy job. I turned a bocote cigar pen about a week ago. I like the wood with all the wild grain. I thought it was easy !! but tried a slimline with corian today and made it, but not with some difficulty. We all need to try different things with woodturning. My next attempt is a small vortex bowl and then a basket illusion platter or hollow form. Wish me well :beauty::eek::confused::rolleyes: Take care .

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 111

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great looking slimline pen with that bocote wood and the matching inline grain ......not an easy job. I turned a bocote cigar pen about a week ago. I like the wood with all the wild grain. I thought it was easy !! but tried a slimline with corian today and made it, but not with some difficulty. We all need to try different things with woodturning. My next attempt is a small vortex bowl and then a basket illusion platter or hollow form. Wish me well :beauty::eek::confused::rolleyes: Take care .

Hi Joe, I'd love to see your next projects. Just this past month I have been doing more non-pen turnings, as well as these modified slimline.

I have about 25 modified slimline for "Service Members" pens, and about another 40-50 kits, so I hope to send Gary a package in a few months with about 60-70 pens.

Then need to get the demos set for 2017 MPG. Then need to peddle 500 more blanks for IAP. Then need to play with my billet segments. Then need.... Too many projects! Too much fun!

Stay healthy Joe.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
excellent looking pen Mark!!

Thanks Ernie! Making a few gallons of Texas Red right now (6 cups of diced onions suck; I'm a wimp for the eyes!) I'm still hopeful you can visit; if not we'll meet up to teach Chuck how to organize the Shed. :big grin:.

Stay healthy also!!!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam

Thanks Ernie! Making a few gallons of Texas Red right now (6 cups of diced onions suck; I'm a wimp for the eyes!) I'm still hopeful you can visit; if not we'll meet up to teach Chuck how to organize the Shed. :big grin:.

Stay healthy also!!!
Not going to make the drive. It's gonna be 60 here Saturday and I'm finishing up my shop!! Should have the lathe up and running Saturday afternoon :) I have some squirrel calls to make for presents. I'll call you though, as I need a few recipes!!

OZturner

Mark, What a Magnificent Pen.
It is hard to imagine it "Was" a Slimline.
The Modifications, are Inspiring.
In particular, the Thin Brass Center Band, and of course the "Hidden" Clip.
It was a shame that the Closed End, ended up as a Design Opportunity, but your Recovery with the Ebony, was Outstanding. As was your Grain Alignment.
Thank you, I am again looking at the Slimlines with renewed enthusiasm.
Congratulations,
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Stay healthy also!!!
Not going to make the drive. It's gonna be 60 here Saturday and I'm finishing up my shop!! Should have the lathe up and running Saturday afternoon :) I have some squirrel calls to make for presents. I'll call you though, as I need a few recipes!!

Sounds good Ernie! All is well on my end. I would also vote to get the shop set up. Use the good weather as long as it lasts.

Wifey just got home and says the house smells like chili, fish, peppers, cumin... Hmnnn... After my sinus surgery, I really can't smell or taste much. :confused:

Texas Red Chili is Simmering.
Irish Fish Chowder is also simmering.

Yup, the house stinks! So fire me!

Any recepies I can offer are yours! Be well, Mark.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, What a Magnificent Pen.
It is hard to imagine it "Was" a Slimline.
The Modifications, are Inspiring.
In particular, the Thin Brass Center Band, and of course the "Hidden" Clip.
It was a shame that the Closed End, ended up as a Design Opportunity, but your Recovery with the Ebony, was Outstanding. As was your Grain Alignment.
Thank you, I am again looking at the Slimlines with renewed enthusiasm.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you Brian: Thank you for your comments; yes, the slimline allows many design opportunities.

Cheers, Mark

Top Bottom