Bocote with copper braid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I couldn't wait for the Alumilite to come so did a practice run with Araldite Crystal Clear glass and ceramic glue. Just mixed and poured, no vac or pressure. This braid is much thinner than one I used before and is the screening on an old computer cable. Sorry the first pic is crummy. This pen is a bit of a miss match ( copper with black Ti kit )but now I know how to get the braid in nicely anyway.

2007629222543_cop3.jpg

Here's a closer pic of the braid

2007629222621_closeup.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Very Cool!!

first glance I thought "I know how he did that". Then a few synapses fire and I thought "no, wait... that is the negative of how I know he did it". I have no clue how you did that and got it to look so nice; no frayed ends or anything. Very very slick!!!

GK

OKLAHOMAN

Steven (Mr. Skip[:D]) I always enjoy seeing what you will come up with next, as you always are thinking outside the box.Nice work again.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gketell
<br />Very Cool!!

first glance I thought "I know how he did that". Then a few synapses fire and I thought "no, wait... that is the negative of how I know he did it". I have no clue how you did that and got it to look so nice; no frayed ends or anything. Very very slick!!!

GK

Greg, you will kick yourself when you see how simple it was to do.
In fact, I will make up a nicer pair of unturned SL tubed blanks and post them to the first person to guess how its done[:D]
Try not to think of a complex way to do it. Clue; I didn't use a 7mm drill for the 7mm tube. I used two different size drills to make the bottom blank.[;)]

jssmith3

did you put the cord in a mold and then use poly resin? Then cut the blank of wood and the PR cord together on a scroll saw to get the perfect fit?

Janet :)

johnnycnc

Very cool look,Steven!
I'll take a guess at how you did it.
Larger drill (to slip the copper braid inside the blank)
large diameter "forstner" bit partial hole for the window,
insert braid in blank,cast assembly in resin.
drill for tubes.
there would be a layer of resin over the braid.
Just guessing..do I win?[:p]
[/quote]
In fact, I will make up a nicer pair of unturned SL tubed blanks and post them to the first person to guess how its done[:D]
[/quote]

ericw95

Drilled the blank with a larger drill bit. Took the blank to a drum sander to make the window. Glued the copper to a dowel and inserted it into the blank. Cast the blank in the ACC and then drilled with a 7mm. Next inserted the brass tube.

LEAP

My guess would be a hole saw. cast the braid in the resin then cut the braid and the blank using a partial cut with the same hole saw. Similiar to what you did with the aluminum and plant pot pen.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
[:D][}:)] None correct, but one is close. I don't want to keep bumping this, so if no one gets it by a bit later today, then I already have the winner.[:D]

I just re-read the one I thought was closest. But using that method require 3 drills. I only used two on the bottom blank, neither was 7mm.[;)]

JimM

Steve,
Here is what I would do and is a possible method you used.

Using a forstner bit, I would cut the 'window' in the blank.

Using bit #2, I would select a size that is the outer diameter of the cable mesh with tube inserted, and bore the length of the lower blank.

The cable mesh is hollow anyway so it will just slip on the pen tube and a thin coat of CA will hold in place. Next, apply glue and insert the 'cable/tube' assembly in the blank then finish with clear acrylic.

Close???? only 2 bits are used...
Great idea and I love your 'interactive' presentations...

JimM

JimM

Steve,
If order in drilling is important for the response, I would bore the length with bit #2 first, then open the 'window' with the forstner bit second.
JimM

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimM
<br />Steve,
If order in drilling is important for the response, I would bore the length with bit #2 first, then open the 'window' with the forstner bit second.
JimM

Well done Jim, that is exactly how I did it[:D]

E-mail me your address and I'll send the blanks. Just be patient please, as I have to work away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom