"bluebell" - kitless cobalt slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

So here's a kitless slim. I'm practicing a few things hidden clips, curved centerbands and working with acrylics. Here's what I was playing with last night. The blanks are from exoticblanks.com. They are alt cobalt and alt ivory. Dawn and Ed are quickly becoming my source of blanks. The last 4 or 5 pens I've made have been from their blanks.

As always comments, critiques and complaints are welcome.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 440
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Ben, that pen is outstanding! I like you choice of material and they way they complement each other. The shape looks great and the turned tip is very impressive. Ive been wondering if that could be pulled off. Thanks for sharing! Great Job!

workinforwood

Looks great Ben. Now you just have to ditch that slim clip with something else. Some of the woodcraft stores have a parts box where they toss all the parts in from defective or returned pen kits. The one I go to is 50 cents a part. That's not too bad..there's always tons of clips in there and all sorts of other odd ball good stuff. Fun to play with.

davinci27

Nancy - I don't remember the drill bits I used. I used 3 different bits. I used calipers for the 2 smaller sizes and made them just larger than the 2 steps on the refill. The thirds was just a little smaller than the standard opening in the nib. There is a good article in last copy wood turning design that gives you the basics. Not the current copy but the one just prior. It will give you a good place to start. It's not quite the way I make them, but it gives you a good step by step.

Jeff - I'll have to check with my local woodcraft. I've got a box full of slim clips so I just grab one out of there. I wish I could find a good source for clips. I've found a site that sales lots of clips. but they are about $1 each so almost as much as just buying cheap slimline kits.

Top Bottom