From blue water line pressure pipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jennera

jennera

A request from one of our pastors after a long project to put in a fire loop around our church to bring it up to code. These are from some of the left over blue PVC water line pressure pipe. Not the cleanest around the center band but there is plenty of pipe left for her to make more!
f7b24954ca525bc5a597200c95bfd17f.jpg
f15cf4adda59e59375384539514381b3.jpg
61d91b494e44b662918f08e13d353ab1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Great job on the pens!!

Safety: Please take these seriously.
Ditto on the sleeves.
Unzipped hoodee/loose clothing
Hair is tied up....good but there is still a loose ponytail
Strings on hoodee.
Wires from ear buds need to go.
Hearing protection is fine but one needs to hear the equipment in case something starts to make a noise/become an issue.
I would like to see a dust mask and also some safety glasses over her regular glasses.

I also see the table saw was used on this pipe. Looks like there is no blade guard nor splitter/riving knife in use here. A hazard for whoever uses the saw.

Sorry to have a long list but your daughter needs to learn to work safely around the lathe or other equipment and not be at risk of injury....or worse.

Again, great job on the pens....keep up the fine work!

jennera

Thanks for the call out on the sleeves and earbuds. She is usually more careful and we usually catch that too.

She doesnt use the tabke saw much, her Dad had cut the pipe down to blank size for her. Unfortunatley, I have less influence over on matters of shop safety with him. ;) But I will remind him. He usually has a sled on it and I dont think his guard works with the sled.

Jennifer

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi,

Beautiful blue colour and well finished pens, congrats.

I also noticed the "sleves" thing but, other have already pointed that out and while she may get a little annoyed by that, we all have the best of intentions when calling out on safety issues, it can sound a bit harsh...!

The thing is, stopping taking pics to avoid the possible "criticism" on certain issues, would be not of any help to anyone, particularly her.

I was just thinking of you girls the other day, I haven't seen you much lately and I wondered why...!

Take care,

Cheers
George

jennera

Yes, she has already caught her hair in it once and pulled a small plug out which is why she remembers to always pull it back now. Her Dad does want to invest in a turners apron or coat for her so any recommendations would be appreciated!

We have been busy the last couple weeks with vacation Bible school at the church so I havent posted much but she has some other pens I hope to post photos of soon. She has been inspired to try more CA finishes and is going through some learning curves with that.

We managed to ship out a package to Wayne for the PITH and I need to ship one this week for thanks on the pen press she received. She LOVES it! She finds it much easier to use than the pipe clamp.

Because of the support she has received here and from family and friends, she plans to join the robotics club this fall and learn how to use the metal lathe and CNC machine.

I am not too worried about the criticsim as I know it is for the best! Besides, it isnt anything she hasnt heard from me, Dad, or Grandpa before. She tends to forget though when she is excited about something new and I didnt see her head out with her hoodie on. Maybe I will make her a safety check sign to put on the wall to help her remember. :)

1080Wayne

Apologies for bringing up another safety item Jennifer , but I see too many tripping hazards in the lathe work space . I would also recommend a good mat to stand on - concrete isn`t easy on the feet, legs and back .

One last potential safety item . Can`t see all of her fingers , but should be no rings . Standard industrial safety practice .

And one more I hope you`re aware of - Absolutely zero polishing cloths or any fabric piece longer than about 2 inches

The pens look great . Interesting the colour difference between manufacturers of the water pipe . The stuff I have is a much darker blue .

Looks like a well used shop to me! I'd feel right at home in there! That blue pvc makes beautiful pens it looks like, something I will have to keep my eyes open for a scrap piece of sometime.
And I like curlys thoughts on the 'its a boy' pen idea, that would be perfect ( lets just hope she isn't turning ' its a boy' pens to hand out for many years!!!)
Keep preaching safety, and encouragement, shes obviously very talented and on her way to great things!!

OZturner

Magnificent Pens Jennifer,
Love the Glorious Blue, Reclaimed High Pressure Water Poly Pipe.
Superb Turning Fit and Finish, they Look Iridescent on the Stand.
I support fully all the Safety Comments made by the earlier Posts,
It is Too late to Think about it after it Happens.
You have to Live it all the Time.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom