Blue Rhinoplastic Gun Metal Atrax

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

I am such a hack..one day I will make something original.

I did use the Jr Gent II bushings and all fit very well.

Attachments

• Blue Rhino Atrax.jpg
    Blue Rhino Atrax.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I like the Atrax. I have found the gun metal finish to wear a bit, possibly from my hand oils. But the price is right and the busings and drill dimensions are common. They sell well despite the non postable cap.

Go easy on yourself Tony, a lot of us "hacks" are just fine with turning standard kit pens. :biggrin: I like it, and rarely post the cap anyhow. I feel it throws the balance off, at least in my smallish hand. I'm also a sucker for blues.

How did you like turning the blank? I found Rhinoplastic to both turn and polish well, and prefer them over Alumilite for the shine you can get - which is why I prefer PR to Alumilite in general. It chipped a bit until I got it round then peeled off in nice long ribbons that made a huge mess, just the way I like.

TonyL

Very true..I am just happy turning the kitted pens, but do respect and appreciate the work of the kitless folks. I like SOYP because it gives me ideas as to what combinations I would like to try. Rhino, Acrylesyer, inlace and the home-made hybrid blanks motivated to learn to use a skew and use a sanding jig. I love these materials and I think it has been 2.5 year since I have has a blow-out. They take on a beautiful "scratch-free" shine easily. I love the stuff. Of all that I turn, and sell, and what to keep for myself, it would would be inlace/Acrylester. I can use carbide, but not as quickly.

PatrickR

^ Agreed! Blue and silver are a classic combo. I also prefer the look and feel of a non postable pen.
I'll have to get a few Atrax.

TonyL

Thank you. It is hard to tell from the pics; it is what Berea calls gun metal. I also use chrome/"silver" which I would have preferred for this (to add some light), but I only had a gun metal Atraxes left in RBs.

mecompco

The Atrax platform is pretty much my go-to for FPs and RBs. I prefer the chrome. It is nice quality and reasonably priced. Exoticblanks also sells a postable finial for it for around $3.50 IIRC for customers that prefer that option.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom