Blue Lapis with Alt Ivory Aero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
It took me ages to segment this thing so that there would be an equal amount of blue to white on the barrel. But the glue set before I could push the tube in deep enough:mad::rolleyes: ( note to self; use epoxy next time dummy !! )
Blue Lapis Trustone with Alt Ivory. Pretty perhaps, but not what I wanted:rolleyes:

Attachments

• LapisIvory.jpg
    LapisIvory.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 518
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

May not have been what you wanted, but the result is beautiful!

Edit to add a question: Did you paint the tube or use something other than brass? Reason I ask is I have some of the alt lapis and not sure whether to paint the tube -- probably should just to be safe, anyway -- thanks!

Woops -- see yours is lapis "trustone" -- probably not the same as the alt lapis I have, anyway -- sorry

Last edited:

philb

Looks good Skippy even if it wasn't quite what you planned!

As you said to me before in a thread, if you don't tell anyone its an accident, then it just looks like a perfectly executed pen design!

PHIL

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Pretty indeed! What type of saw do you use to get such clean cuts for your segmenting?

Router with 30deg Perfect Point bit:wink:

Was supposed to be a stretched version of the one below, which I did some time back

Attachments

• RouterJoint.jpg
    RouterJoint.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

mickr

great job..don't tell it was a mistake..we don't believe you make them...my world has now tilted on it's axis

jkeithrussell

The kit is awesome. I can't keep track of all of the variations of the Sierra -- which one is that?

Russianwolf

That's not a Sierra, it the same as the Elegant Beauty except that CSUSA calls it the Aero.

Steve, how do you lengthen the barrel without effecting the refill, or are you putting a larger refill in it too?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's not a Sierra, it the same as the Elegant Beauty except that CSUSA calls it the Aero.

Steve, how do you lengthen the barrel without effecting the refill, or are you putting a larger refill in it too?

Mike, I didn't lengthen the barrel ( or want to ) My blank was much longer to start with, in fact the white was the same length as the blue. Instead of trimming it a bit first:redface: , I set up a pin punch with a bit of tape that would 'theoretically' position the tube in the middle of the blank. Of course the glue set before I got it all the way in.:mad:

Butch, I've used the heat trick a couple of times by dropping the blank in very hot water to release the glue, but although I didn't think to do it at the time it probably would have ruined my glue joints too.

No biggie, but I'm mad that I wasted the blue lapis.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments:biggrin:

ldb2000

Steve , just for future reference , use a soldering iron/wood burning iron instead of hot water . I have done this with segmented blanks and the tube slides right without affecting the rest of the blank .

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Now that is clever thinking Butch:biggrin: Thanks!!:wink:
Do you stroke the tip of the iron over the inside of the tube or just hold it in the middle?
But hopefully I've learnt my lesson and won't do it again:rolleyes: ( yeah right !!!)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, Skippy, you've really gone and done it now!

Yup!

Made a mistake. I just don't know how I can go on.

Oh. I know. Send me the pen. That'll help. I'll not let anyone else here see it . . . much.

Top Bottom