Blue Lapis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Every time I turn a blue lapis it feels like a work out to make one pen. I have broken them more often than I can remember but when I get one through to a final pen I feel like it's an achievement.

This is my latest, a Lotus FP on a Blue Lapis

IMG_8940-1.jpg

Thanks!

renowb

That's a fine looking pen. The blue really goes good with the gold. I like it!

Fred

Thanks for showing us your work. The pen is indeed a very beautiful one. The gold in the blank really is pulled out with the gold of the kit.

Would you share with us the source for your blank? Several of us might just like to use it ourselves and the information would be quite helpful. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I love the Blue Lapis blanks and even though they are 'hard work' the results are great. You made a great choice of kit/blank. :wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you just want a couple pieces of tru-stone, you can add it to your order at ExoticBlanks. Still trying to be your "one-stop shop" for all things "pen making":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks and GREAT pen, Jim!!!

I have two like that and I agree, they represent an "achievement"--Good turning!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rick_G

Great looking pen Jim. I've done a few truestone and from the sounds of this stuff I think I'll leave it alone until I can make myself one of those carbide cutters.

ctubbs

Jim, a quality pen. The fit and finish are outstanding. Blue and Gold are my school colors. Those two really go well together. Congratulations on a beautiful pen and getting the blank turned in one piece.
Charles

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an oldie but a goodie! Looks very nice on the front page, Jim. :biggrin:

I've had this on my list to feature for quite a while. Not sure why it took me a year, but there it is now!

PenMan1

Glad to see you "walking on the wild side", Jim. Now that you have tamed the lapis beast, it'll be hard to regress back to "mere wood".

Nicely done, Congrats on the front page!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here's an oldie but a goodie! Looks very nice on the front page, Jim. :biggrin:

I've had this on my list to feature for quite a while. Not sure why it took me a year, but there it is now!

Wow!! Talk about being indicisive!!!!:eek::tongue:

Congrats Jim, well deserved!!:biggrin:

wizard

Beautiful!

It's gorgeous! I don't know how I missed this pen when you first posted. I love the way the gold veins in the Lapis really accent the gold hardware and vice versa. Jim, You did an outstanding job and that pen goes perfectly with the front page!!!
Regards, Doc:)

Wow, I am stunned, I have never been on the cover and want to say Thank You very much.

I have always enjoyed seeing others work on the cover and never thought about my work being there, it's very humbling and I am very flattered.. and from a year ago at that.. :)

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful words, it is much appreciated.

jjudge

Does the pen feel heavy? ... I've got some Tru Stone, and yes - a Lapis one -- that I've not gotten around to turning.

My thoughts are that they'd be a lot more heavy.

76winger

Great looking pen!
I've done one Blue Lapis so far, and it's what prompted me to bite the bullet and get a carbide tipped cutter (at least for hard stuff like this). I still like the skew for most pen turning though.

weasel1219

Pen kits

Your work is great and the look is very eye catching.
I am impressed with the pen kit also and would like to know
where to get a hold of some.

Thanks in advance

raar25

Very nice, I am not sure if it is the lighting but it looks like you have the same condition I have with finish. I can never get the lapis to keep a gloss shine. It seems like an hour after I have it shining it starts to loose some of its shine.

Very nice, I am not sure if it is the lighting but it looks like you have the same condition I have with finish. I can never get the lapis to keep a gloss shine. It seems like an hour after I have it shining it starts to loose some of its shine.

I know what you mean, the polished surface sometimes dulls down with exposure. In my case the shine is there, the lighting I use with my photo's are very soft and seldom show a hard shine. My process for wet sanding Tru Stone is to wet sand at a slow speed and work from 400 to 12,000, then Novus 2 polish at high speed, it always produces a shine. I Hope that helps!

Top Bottom