Blue Glass Fiber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

Spent some time turning and assembling this one, only to find out that one of the coupler's threads wouldn't work/thread with the top's thread. Luckily, I had a spare coupler that did work. Disassembled and put the alternate coupler and here is the finished pen.

Just curious, has anyone been able to successfully (without damaging centerband or blank) remove the centerband (with black insert) on a Gent Jr. after it had been pressed to the blank?

Also this is the second time I've noticed a Gent Jr kit with a loose gold trim on the centerband causing some rattle. Thought about applying a small drop of CA but was concerned that it could tarnish the plating. Any suggestions?

DSC_0241-1.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

The two rings of the CB (gold and rhodium on this set)are just press fit onto the main piece. It is best to inspect for this prior to assembly, and press these parts together until looseness is gone. Once the pen is assembled you can try pressing the whole cap assembly a bit harder than you did the first time. This will serve to compress the rings tighter onto the main piece, and hopefully get rid of looseness. Your "pressing harder" must be balanced against the prospect of damaging something, so proceed with caution.

toddlajoie

My impression with a few of the cast blanks from CSUSA is that the tubes are ever-so-slightly smaller than the stock tubes (close enough that their bushings will fit fine, but Johnny's TBC bushings will not...) and because of this, you have to press MUCH harder to set the pieces in (and conversely, whack it MUCH harder to disassemble...) If you don't get the parts pressed in far enough, you will get the rattle on the CB from the rings not being connected and not being pressed together. My glass fiber JGII managed to go together well, but I did an abalone blank recently and could not get it fully tight without pressing harder than I was willing to do (on a $25 blank...) I managed to get it down to where it barely rattles, but it still does just a bit.

So I would suggest before you try to disassemble it, try pressing it together a bit more...

propencity

Thanks everyone. I was able to fix the rattling centerband by simply applying more pressure on the press... as suggested.

Top Bottom