Blue Galaxy "Original Cactus Blank" on a Black Ti Navigator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this weekend. It is one of Curtis's "Original Cactus Blanks" which I've really had fun working with. I recently made one in Magma Red. This one is a Blue Galaxy on a Black Titanium Navigator Rollerball. Turned easily. Sanded to 600 grit. CA (medium) X 6 coats. MM (wet) from 1200 to 12000 grit. Finished with HUT Plastic Polish and Ren Wax. Thanks so much for taking the time to look. Doc:)

Attachments

• Blue Galaxy _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_2.jpg
    Blue Galaxy _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Blue Galaxy _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_1.jpg
    Blue Galaxy _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 311
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Beautiful pen and work, you did it proud. Did you dye it blue or purchase it that way? I want to see your red, I will have to look it up.

wizard

Beautiful pen and work, you did it proud. Did you dye it blue or purchase it that way? I want to see your red, I will have to look it up.
Mike, I purchased the blank as is from Curtis Seebeck aka Mesquite Man at
Turn Tex. The cactus blanks come in a variety of colors. I have attached two photos of the Magma Red version of the blank/pen. Regards, Doc

Attachments

• Magma Red _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_2.jpg
    Magma Red _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Magma Red _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_1.jpg
    Magma Red _Original Cactus Blank_ on Black Titanium Navigator_1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 125

Woodlvr

Thanks Doc. I like the red one also, but the blue is my favorite. I will have to get in touch with Curtis. Thanks for posting the red one for us to see.

jttheclockman

Doc once again a fine rendition of a great looking blank. Good job on both your parts and thanks for showing.

Just a little nitpicking. When using the black background as I see you are into now, the darker the blank the less detail shows on the kit. It gets lost in the background. Maybe switch to a lighter color for darker blanks. Just a suggestion. 2¢:)

wizard

Doc once again a fine rendition of a great looking blank. Good job on both your parts and thanks for showing.

Just a little nitpicking. When using the black background as I see you are into now, the darker the blank the less detail shows on the kit. It gets lost in the background. Maybe switch to a lighter color for darker blanks. Just a suggestion. 2¢:)

John,
Thank you! More than 2 cents worth. I understand and agree with you. Do you think a white background would have been better. I have tried white, blue, and red backgrounds on some pictures with different pens. I need to probably get some different shades of velvet. I like toddlajoei's technique on the front page and thought about using something like that.
Nevertheless, I always appreciate your comments and feedback. Regards, Doc

jttheclockman

John,
Thank you! More than 2 cents worth. I understand and agree with you. Do you think a white background would have been better. I have tried white, blue, and red backgrounds on some pictures with different pens. I need to probably get some different shades of velvet. I like toddlajoei's technique on the front page and thought about using something like that.

I do not like white as a background because all cameras do not adjust well to white and then too much fiddling is needed. I think a pen gets washed out in white especially when it has alot of glitz to it. I like a light grey because all cameras will pick up grey very easily. Pulling off the black background is tricky and you have done a good job but it is one of those either you love it or hate it. Not much in between. :) We all experiment and change with the flow so maybe try a few different backdrops. At some time in the future and probably after the new year I want to try some photos using some silk backdrop and fluffing it. I saw this a couple times here and it looks pretty dramatic and cool. I just don't remember who was using it. Have to do a search some time. Could be pretty hard to find though. Maybe just go through some albumns might be the way. Anyway thanks for showing and keep up the good work.

Oh by the way the next pen you posted with the dark blue really gets lost in the background. Sorry.

wizard

John,

I do not like white as a background because all cameras do not adjust well to white and then too much fiddling is needed. I think a pen gets washed out in white especially when it has alot of glitz to it. I like a light grey because all cameras will pick up grey very easily. Pulling off the black background is tricky and you have done a good job but it is one of those either you love it or hate it. Not much in between. :) We all experiment and change with the flow so maybe try a few different backdrops. At some time in the future and probably after the new year I want to try some photos using some silk backdrop and fluffing it. I saw this a couple times here and it looks pretty dramatic and cool. I just don't remember who was using it. Have to do a search some time. Could be pretty hard to find though. Maybe just go through some albumns might be the way. Anyway thanks for showing and keep up the good work.

Oh by the way the next pen you posted with the dark blue really gets lost in the background. Sorry.
Don't be. I knew that was coming and I was actually debating whether or not to post it after our dialogue. :rolleyes: I've seen the silk backdrop with the folds in it. I looks pretty cool if you can do it without shadows. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom