Blue Ebonite Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it over period of last two mornings. Took a break from working on an aluminum pen on my metal lathe.. which is embarrassingly slow going...:redface: So..LOL...I made this on the wood lathe to feel like I was still competent to make a pen:rolleyes:..It's Blue Ebonite with a #6 Medium Point Gilded Bock nib. Tried to take the finial off for the last picture..and couldn't..couldn't find my section pliers....ugh. Anyway, I hope you like it. Doc:)

Attachments

• Blue Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    Blue Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Blue Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    Blue Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Blue Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    Blue Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

That is a beautiful pen. I looked at it on the phone and had to get to the desktop for a better look. I love the shape and the blue ebonite is perfect for it.

watch_art

Wait... you couldn't take the finial off? How much torque do you apply to put those things on?? I put some torque on mine - but I'm always able to get em off using a piece of rubber bicycle tube at least. I've never tried to twist too too hard - I'd be scared to break the finial from the threads.

Jgrden

That is a beautiful pen. I looked at it on the phone and had to get to the desktop for a better look. I love the shape and the blue ebonite is perfect for it.

The work is so good I cannot tell if the cap has a hidden clip, or a twist on top clip. Am I dumb.

vanngo5d

Love the blue, great looking pen. Can't wait to see the aluminum one. I' m still trying to get the first section built for my kitless. Keep breaking the threads. Then i walk away to try again later. But haven't gave up yet.
Don Vann

wizard

Thank you all of for the kind comments and encouragement!! Doc:)

Nice pen Doc. Does that clip look lonely to you? :biggrin:
Perhaps some of the clips friends could BAND together and join him on a pen soon!:wink:
What a novel idea!? :biggrin: Maybe when the pen on the metal lathe gets finished.:wink: No hurry Doc! :biggrin:

Chuck and George....OK Guys..... I got the LOL...subtle hint..:redface:.
The clips brass friends... seen below... arrived...and some silver tubing is flying in to join the party..now they're trying to find a way to meet up together on the cap....I'm checking out some info...can't remember the names of the two challenging culprits...one wrote a particular tutorial about bands and the other one posted a thread about making accent bands. :biggrin: The party should be good to go in about a week barring any addition to my ridiculous schedule of an entity known as work..ugh..Doc:)

Attachments

• Brass _1.jpg
    Brass _1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

ericd

I like the simplicity of this pen. Classic shape. Great execution.
Your pens just keep getting better.
Nice work.

Timebandit

Wow Sensei!!! How about a pen making lesson :) this is one of your best Doc!! Blue is may favorite color (this color blue) and Ebonite one of my favorite materials so this pen is off the hook!! The clip installation looks superb, can hardly even see the seam!! Great job my friend!! You have stepped it up with this one :)

wizard

Again, Thank you all for the kind words and compliments!

Wow Sensei!!! How about a pen making lesson :) this is one of your best Doc!! Blue is may favorite color (this color blue) and Ebonite one of my favorite materials so this pen is off the hook!! The clip installation looks superb, can hardly even see the seam!! Great job my friend!! You have stepped it up with this one :)

Justin, I couldn't have done this without you my friend!! I wanted to thank you for the gift of knowledge and the time you spent teaching me! You are a great teacher!! Moreover, LOL..a patient teacher...if you could put up with me and my questions. From your post...I gather I'm past the grasshopper stage...:). Regards, Doc

wizard

Another beauty Doc. But I want to see the aluminum one:biggrin:

Mike

Mike, Thank you!!!...LOL..I'm about to warm up your phone with questions on the aluminum one. Regards, Doc:)

Stunning Doc and I dont think the BAND would do it justice. I like the simplistic approach, makes the ckip stand out!

Terry, Thanks so much for the compliment....You are correct about the simplistic approach and I am definitely not going to put bands on this pen.
I was going to try it with another pen.....
LOL..I have these two individuals named Chuck and George that are concerned about clips being lonely on pens...:wink:
Terry, I hope you and your family are doing well. Regards, Doc:)

wizard

Wait... you couldn't take the finial off? How much torque do you apply to put those things on?? I put some torque on mine - but I'm always able to get em off using a piece of rubber bicycle tube at least. I've never tried to twist too too hard - I'd be scared to break the finial from the threads.

Shawn, LOL.....I'm not going to ask where you came up with the bicycle tube idea...but I tried it last night and it worked beautifully. I usually don't apply that much torque. I usually try to get the seam of the finial to the exact place where it was before I cut the notch....where you cannot feel it when you run your finger over the pen and finial junction. Thanks for the help!!. LOL..Now I just have to put the front tire on my son's bike back on the wheel rim. Regards, Doc:)

watch_art

Great! Glad that worked.
I got the idea from FPN - it's helpful for pulling tough nibs and feeds from some pens - also a good way to grip a stubborn section (older friction fit type) after applying heat.
Some folk use spark plug pullers with the softish plastic on the ends so as not to scratch or mar the section.

terryf

Great! Glad that worked.
I got the idea from FPN - it's helpful for pulling tough nibs and feeds from some pens - also a good way to grip a stubborn section (older friction fit type) after applying heat.
Some folk use spark plug pullers with the softish plastic on the ends so as not to scratch or mar the section.

for really stubborn ones you can add a cable tie - just needs to be in the right direction and the harder you pull on the cable tie the more pressure is exerted - either it comes loose or it breaks :)

Robert111

Quote:

So..LOL...I made this on the wood lathe to feel like I was still competent to make a pen

Did you really say that????!!!! :eek:

Anyway, another masterpiece! Guess you've still got it, Doc.

Top Bottom