blue dyed box elder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skewzdust

Status
Not open for further replies.

skewzdust

This is a pen I made my wife for xmas. Blank was from Penn State and the finish is many coats of CA. It's hard to tell in this photo but the CA has gone cloudy in a few areas. This happened within a couple of weeks of light use. You can see it just to the right of the centerband. (see the red line) It seems to be on the surface and I've been able to buff it out for the most part. I've noticed this same effect on a pen I made for my daughter, but my olivewood "daily driver" with CA hasn't shown anything like this in over a month. I suspect it has to do with PH or something. Anyone seen this effect?

20053130149_blue%20dyed%20box%20elder%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Very nice... I really like the color and the finish looks good.. Sometimes that clouding is a result of moisture.. too high humidity in the shop...

KKingery

Could be alot of things.....did you use BLO/CA, or just a CA finish? Could have been something it came in contact with etc.....regardless, it's one fine lookin pen!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That's a beautiful pen, Steve. As for the CA, some of it is not as pure as other brands, so it's possible that this is where your problem is coming from. If you are using one of the better hobby or industrial grades, that shouldn't be the problem, but some of the no-names do tend to haze. Just a thought.

Fleabit

Good looking pen. I have never had any clouding after the fact, but during the application I did a few times. Ended up being too cold in the shop. Fixed that with a heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom