Blue Dwarf Banksia Virage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penl8the

Penl8the

This blank is from George (Robutacion) - blue dwarf banksia. The pen kit is a Virage Chrome.

I used a modified "Blowouts...???" method to turn this pen.

I used a disc sander instead of an angle grinder to bring the blank to "almost the final dimension" before I turned it on the lathe.

To prevent blow out at the final stage of turning, do use sharp tools and apply the blank CA as often as required.

As usual, wet sanded to 800 grit. Applied 2 coats of thin CA, then 5 or 6 coats of medium CA. Wet sanded again to 800 grit. Finished with Novus 3, 2, and 1.

Comments are welcome.

Please click on the thumbnail to view the full size picture.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Branden; Your pen looks like a cross between a peacock and a rattle snake. Very impressive texture and color combo. However you are doing your blank, it looks just fine. CA and sharp tools are your best friends on projects like this. Jm S

robutacion

Oh yeah, that one come out very "porsche" ...!:wink:

I also like the kit you used with that blank, the contrast is amazingly sharp.

You do what you need to do to make sure the resin inside the pod seed holes, stay where they are throughout the resizing of the original blank size, into the final pen barrel size, "my" flap disc method is only a process that has proven to maintain the blank integrity, right to the end however, is not the only process that works, it all depends on the turner's skill/experience and the level of confidence one has when approaching these and many other, types of blanks I make but, not only...!

No doubt, a amazingly good combination and I'm sure, a "seller" in any time of situation...!

Keep up the good work...!

Cheers
George

OZturner

Branden, What A Pen!
Your Craftsmanship Shines through with this Pen.
Excellent Choice of Virage Kit. It Adequately supports "The Star of the Event", the Blank.
Georges, Blanks, are not only Unique, Beautiful, and Spectacular, but they are also Taxing, Challenging, and Demanding.
You have filled all the requirements superbly, and have Acheived a Magnificent Pen.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Penl8the

Thank you for all your kind words, everyone.

Branden; Your pen looks like a cross between a peacock and a rattle snake.

Hi Jim,

I didn't notice the peacock effect until you mentioned it. Neat!

Branden, What A Pen!
Your Craftsmanship Shines through with this Pen.
Excellent Choice of Virage Kit. It Adequately supports "The Star of the Event", the Blank.
Georges, Blanks, are not only Unique, Beautiful, and Spectacular, but they are also Taxing, Challenging, and Demanding.
You have filled all the requirements superbly, and have Acheived a Magnificent Pen.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Hi Brian,

Wow, thank you for all the superlatives.

Oh yeah, that one come out very "porsche" ...!George

Porshce - I like that. A dream car that I don't need, but I definitely want one.

Top Bottom