Blue Chip Closed End Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

I have made a few timber closed end pens,( just made 2 for my swap pens in the Australia Day pen swap), but this is my attempt at using a resin blank. I think there will be more to come.
I think in future I will use a better quality component set. The Jr Gent 1, is OK for prototypes, but as I would like to sell a few of these, I will have to look at something a bit more substantial for the next ones.

DSC_0015.jpg DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg DSC_0010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I really like the shape of the pen and I really like the blank. One suggestion.... you could replace the black end on the cap with the blank material. That in my opinion, would complete the pen.

BSea

I really like that pen. And Timberbits has a pen called the Jr Victor (same thing as a jr Retro) that is a step up over the Jr Gent I.

If you have enough left over, a finial would look really cool, especially on the jr victor.

Ironwood

Thanks for the kind words Guys.
I have made a few pens with a similar shape to this one, I am still trying to refine it a little.

I totally agree on the custom finial, I used 100% of this blank to make this pen already, it was not long enough to make a finial as well. I will have to look at buying 2 blanks to make future pens.

Bob, I also like the Jr Victor/Retro, they are looking to be a good option for future pens. They do look better with custom finial for sure.

This blank came from Timberbits Pen Making :: Pen Blanks :: Acrylic Pen Blanks :: 038 - Midnight Blue - White Crush - Pen Kits, Pen blanks, Clock Kits and wood turning accessories.

SDB777

Great looking closed end! I have made quite a few of these using the very same kit. And I haven't had any come back from buyers, in fact...they do come back, but to purchase more for gifts or themshelves! Don't be too rough on the JrGent I....it is a workhorse for the price!

Nice shape!!!

Scott (got closed-end?) B

Ironwood

Good to hear your thoughts on the Jr Gent 1 Scott.

I am just a bit worried about it because of the loose sloppy feel of the threads.

BSea

I totally agree on the custom finial, I used 100% of this blank to make this pen already, it was not long enough to make a finial as well. I will have to look at buying 2 blanks to make future pens.

Bob, I also like the Jr Victor/Retro, they are looking to be a good option for future pens. They do look better with custom finial for sure.

This blank came from Timberbits Pen Making :: Pen Blanks :: Acrylic Pen Blanks :: 038 - Midnight Blue - White Crush - Pen Kits, Pen blanks, Clock Kits and wood turning accessories.
You're right, you can make a closed end, or a custom finial with that blank, but not both. But the good thing is that the color should be uniform from blank to blank without any real pattern to try & match, so you could probably make 3 pens from 4 blanks with the 4th blank used for nothing but the finials. That is of course if you want 3 of the same pen.

Ironwood

You're right, you can make a closed end, or a custom finial with that blank, but not both. But the good thing is that the color should be uniform from blank to blank without any real pattern to try & match, so you could probably make 3 pens from 4 blanks with the 4th blank used for nothing but the finials. That is of course if you want 3 of the same pen.

I agree, as long as the blanks come from the same batch it would match.

Extra blanks would be good, if I had another one of these blanks to play with when I made this pen. I would have made the pen barrel about 10mm longer. I think this would have balanced the pen a bit better.
Though I am not unhappy with the size it ended up, I think it may have been a bit better thats all.

Top Bottom