Blue and Black Ebonite Custom Order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Hello all,

Here is a pen I have just finished, a custom order for one who had a fairly specific idea of what he wanted.

IMG_6946.jpg

This pen is made out of blue and black ebonites from American Art Plastics. It doesn't seem to take on quite as high a gloss as other ebonites I have worked with (despite spending an enormous amount of time trying to achieve that :headsmack: ), but...perhaps this lends it a bit of a 'vintage' look. :eureka: Or something. In any case, I made this one to post very deeply as per the buyer's request, as he tends to post for writing. Again, a cart/converter filler, and has a polished steel JoWo broad nib. Total time to create this pen (including nib work), about 8 hours.

IMG_6939.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

IMG_6936.jpg

After adjusting/aligning the nib, and spending some time smoothing and polishing the tipping, the pen is incredibly smooth and I had a hard time putting it down and cleaning the ink out of it... ya gotta love those broad nibs... :rolleyes:

IMG_6942.jpg

Thanks for looking - comments welcome!

Cheers,

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Ken,
That is a beautiful pen...love the color contrast..the symmetry and clean lines. Threads are clean and crisp. Personally...I like the matte finish..does give a vintage look to it. Great job!!
Regards,
Doc

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
We've discussed the polish issue a little. But, looking at this one, I think it does look vintage, and I like it. I hope your client agrees. Nice work Ken. BTW, is your die set to cut the threads with flat peaks, or did you sand them down flat. I like the clean look of them. Thanks for sharing another beauty!

drgoretex

Thanks very much!

We've discussed the polish issue a little. But, looking at this one, I think it does look vintage, and I like it. I hope your client agrees. Nice work Ken. BTW, is your die set to cut the threads with flat peaks, or did you sand them down flat. I like the clean look of them. Thanks for sharing another beauty!

Thanks Chuck - no, the die isn't cutting flat threads, it's just a plain old regular thread cutter. But as you guessed, I did finish the threads a a bit - I use a bit of finishing paper in the thread valleys, and polish the peaks. Takes a bit of extra time, but it cleans it up very nicely.

Ken

drgoretex

Ken,
That is a beautiful pen...love the color contrast..the symmetry and clean lines. Threads are clean and crisp. Personally...I like the matte finish..does give a vintage look to it. Great job!!
Regards,
Doc

Thanks, Doc - much appreciated!

Gorgeous work Ken! Lovely material. Your client will be delighted with this beauty.

Thank you Robert. I hope you are right. If nothing else, it's a very nice writer!

Ken

BSea

But as you guessed, I did finish the threads a a bit - I use a bit of finishing paper in the thread valleys, and polish the peaks. Takes a bit of extra time, but it cleans it up very nicely.

Ken
Finishing paper??:confused: I take a toothbrush, and just a touch of lubricant to my threads to make them look nicer, but what is finishing paper, and where do you get it?

Great pen BTW:wink:

drgoretex

But as you guessed, I did finish the threads a a bit - I use a bit of finishing paper in the thread valleys, and polish the peaks. Takes a bit of extra time, but it cleans it up very nicely.

Ken
Finishing paper??:confused: I take a toothbrush, and just a touch of lubricant to my threads to make them look nicer, but what is finishing paper, and where do you get it?

Great pen BTW:wink:

Oh, sorry - What I meant was simply fine sandpaper, eg 1000 +. I have tried the toothbrush thing, but it didn't work as well for me.

Cheers,

Ken

Top Bottom