Blow-Up Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StatProf

StatProf

A while ago I sought advice about a blowup that I had on the lathe:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41520

Well, here's the finished product. I'm not real happy with it, but I did learn how to fix the problem, so lesson learned. Wife picked out the collar. The pen is teak burl with a cocobolo collar. The problem is that I didn't match the grain right. Instead of the rainbow (which looks kinda neat), I should have had the grain run down the end of the pen. I didn't think of this until later. Oh, well.

The finish didn't come out all that great either, but I think that this is a byproduct of being frustrated about the grain thing and just rushing through the finish.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Blessings,
StatProf

Attachments

• Blowup1.jpg
    Blowup1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Blowup2.JPG
    Blowup2.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Just a thought here. If it happens again, or for that matter you can plan it this way, but think about putting a slice of picguard in between the 2 woods, especially if they are so similar. Takes seconds longer and looks intentional, instead of an oops. Plus your eye will get drawn away from that little tiny black glue line-you won't see that if you put a slice of something in there. It will still be there, your eye just won't pick it up.

Here's a few examples. The first one was on purpose, the second was one of the first I ever did and I sanded too far down, and didn't want to waste it. Neither are high art, but it dressed up a few cheap pens and hid the glue line while I was at it.

Give it a try!

Dale

Attachments

• iappicguard example.jpg
    iappicguard example.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 125
  • iappicguard example2.jpg
    iappicguard example2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom