Bloody Jasper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgibb42

bgibb42

Made this in my dad's shop Sunday. Bloody Jasper Tru-Stone on a Black Titanium Navigator. I finally built a photo tent and have been working very hard at taking better photos. I think I'm almost there. Comments and criticisms please!

Attachments

• Bloody Jasper Navigator 001.jpg
    Bloody Jasper Navigator 001.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Bloody Jasper Navigator 006.jpg
    Bloody Jasper Navigator 006.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Bloody Jasper Navigator 007.jpg
    Bloody Jasper Navigator 007.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Bloody Jasper Navigator 9.jpg
    Bloody Jasper Navigator 9.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 307
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

The pen and photos look very good! Couple of this that stuck out: The first pic is out of focus on the ends (I have no idea if that is fixable, or if that's what you intended). Second, I can see your tent setup on the cup in the last pic.

But they are defiantly way better than any of my photos!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Brian,

As a photographically-challenged penmaker, I would recommend that you make yourself a small pen stand for pictures.

The idea of the pen going from corner to corner is good, but the pen laying on the ground is going to have "perspective issues" and focus problems. It looks fat on the end close to us and skinny on the other end---not an attractive result. If it sits on a pen stand, at an angle, you achieve the "corner to corner" with the pen all relatively equidistant from your camera lens.

Feel free to ignore!!

Pen looks great in photo 2!!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is one of my favourite Tru-Stones too.
I think your pics are fine. Before I used a stand, I took the pic staright on ( sideways ) then used the 'Straighten' tool in Picassa3 to tilt it at an angle. But I still think your pics are really nice and bright. I like:biggrin:

randyrls

Great looking pen. The suggestions about the perspective are good ones.

How hard is the Jasper Trustone? I just got a blank of it and I am wondering.

bgibb42

Thanks to everybody for the replies. :)

I like the idea about using a stand to display the pens. I've a seen a few here like that, and it looks good. At the same time, I kind of like the perspective of the first picture, it has an "artsy" feel to it. I would like to improve the focus of the whole photo, though.

Second, I can see your tent setup on the cup in the last pic.

If you look closely, the reflection in the mug is of the pen itself, not a tent. I know this because, that was the only photo NOT shot in the tent. In addition to the tent, I've been trying to learn how to properly use my camera and it's settings. That was the result.

How hard is the Jasper Trustone? I just got a blank of it and I am wondering.

Certainly harder than acrylics, but I didn't find it to be difficult, especially once it was turned round. I turn most of my blanks round with a small gouge, then switch to the skew, which made short work of this blank. Good luck.:)

fernhills

Hi, if you like your pens to lie down when you take a pic you can. What you should do is take the shot from the top, straight down. Use your zoom to fill your display and then shoot. I have been looking for a cheap lamp shade with the hardware on top so i can attach the camera,sorta like a tripod, so you can take a timed pic.. Carl

Top Bottom