Bloodwood Cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timdaleiden

Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

Another variation on the Cartridge pens. Comments, critiques, bashing, tossing of garbage, flaming, nasty or snide remarks welcome. [:0]

2005216232740_bloodcart.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wow! Now THAT's cool! Twist-style pen, cut on an angle, and glued (mashed, smashed, however you did it) together. Maybe you could give me a clue on how the striations are fitted together.

PenWorks

Good looking pens Tim. Since you present me with a choice, I'll take the angle cut, but they both are fine. Can't think of anything else to say, I'm speechless! Nice work.

Anthony

Tom McMillan

OK Tim--good buddy and pal!! That's just waaaaaaaaaay too nice!!! I loooove it!!! Question, though---at the angles---I presume the wood goes into the shell---how'd you do that?? Use a dremel or??? Also, I'm thinking the 2 photos are of the same pen??

timdaleiden

Thanks for the kind words all.

The Bloodwood barrels fit inside the brass and are squared at all 4 ends, angled tenons were hand cut for the brass to fit over. I used a slightly oversized brass tubing to etch a pattern to follow, and carved them down to size with a exacto knife. I used the same size brass tube as a sizing ring for turning, which closely matched the OD of the casings.

Even after all of that, there was still a tiny gap at the angled tenons which was filled with a sanding sealer slurry.

The CB is glued to the upper barrel, and the lower one is slightly tapered to move freely inside the lower part of it.

Fred in NC

Well Tim, you asked for it:

"Comments, critiques, bashing, tossing of garbage, flaming, nasty or snide remarks welcome. "

So I will give you a .....

COMMENT !!!

Unique, I have never seen one like that before.
Very elegant, and well done. Great job!

Frankly, much as I like the pen, I would never take it with me on an airplane! It looks like it could actually fire! JB would have liked it. (that is James Bond, just in case ...)

Is my last statement bashing, or what???

woodscavenger

I really like it. Another new dimension for the group to think about. It reminds me of a really cool pen I saw (he wanted ~$1500 for it) that had the angle motiff but it was in the finial. The top of the finial was angled.....any takers on that one?

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Docsmith45
<br />I have a comment. WOW!! The angles really set it off. Really neat design and well accomplished. What caliber? I have been toying with an idea on .223. What's this one?

Thanks for the comments. It says on the end of the shell 308, which I assume is a .308. I don't know all there is to know about ammo. It seems a lot of different sizes work from what I have seen here.

dougle40

After all that's been said above , all I can say is to repeat the above --- <b>WOW !!!!</b>
It almost looks like you've used the original "Lead" for a tip , is this right ???

Fleabit

Ok...I was starting a cartridge pen, now I have to throw it away and start over since you decided to raise the bar!! Kidding aside, that is a very nice design. The angles set it aside from others and the combination of wood and brass compliment each other. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom