BLEACHED WENGE SIERRA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlestonPenWorks

A few weeks ago someone mentioned bleaching wenge to get some interesting results. I tried it a few times and finally got the results that I was hoping for. The dark wood remained dark but the light wood bleached out to almost a light maple color. It really is stunning. Let me know what you think.

I don't take credit for the beauty of the wood, because I didn't create it!

DJ

[/URL]1_100_7922-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
sure would like to know how to do this. how much bleach, how log to let it stay on the blank did you have to let it dry for a while so forth and so on , please give instructions

You guys are hard on Wenge,I think is a beautiful wood the grain patterns are super.When cut at an angle its can be great looking.Sure its hard to turn and work,but well worth the effort.Its also takes a finish that can llok like glass,after you get that open grain finally filled with finish.Oh and the pen its very nice,Victor

Well, the process is really simple. Turn the pen to the required size and go ahead and sand as you normally wood before the finish. Then, take the blank off the lathe and put in a small cup with bleach. Let it soak for a few hours. Stir it a few times to keep it mixed up. When you take it out, rinse it very well a few times in clean water and then wrap in paper towel over night to dry. After drying, the lighter wood becomes this beautiful white color. By the way, the bleaching is actually very shallow in the wood. If you sand or touch up on the lathe with sand paper you will likely "get into" the unbleached wood, thus ruining the blank. This pen is finished with a 5 coats of thin CA, 3 coats of medium, MM to 12,000 and then some turtle wax polishing compound.

Thanks for the complements.

I don't take credit for the beautiful wood, because I didn't create it!!

Top Bottom