Bleached Wenge, Cherry Burl, Camo Acrylic & a Water Dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlajoie

toddlajoie

This is one of my best pieces so far (IMO), A Closed end Chrome Navigator done in Bleached Wenge. Turned and sanded to 800 grit. I thought I had read about people applying bleach on the lathe like food coloring, but that proved to be completely ineffectve in bleaching. Tried a 25% bleach bath, and got very little change. Then soaked in 100% bleach and in about 2 hours it was what I had been going for. After that, I soaked in plain water for a bit, and left it out to dry and for the clorine to break down. Didn't get back to it for several days, but by then there was no more bleach smell. Glossy CA finish.
Bleached%20Wenge%20Closed%20End%20Navigator%2001w.jpg

Bleached%20Wenge%20Closed%20End%20Navigator%2002w.jpg

Bleached%20Wenge%20Closed%20End%20Navigator%2003w.jpg

Bleached%20Wenge%20Closed%20End%20Navigator%2004w.jpg

Bleached%20Wenge%20Closed%20End%20Navigator%2005w.jpg

This is a set of 3 Cherry Burl Black Ti & Gold Ti Wall St IIs. These were a set made for my VP for Christmas presents for her Father, Husband, and Son... Glossy CA Finish. Cherry Burl is one of my all time favorite looking woods.
3%20Cherry%20Burl%20Wall%20St%20IIw.jpg

2 Slims done in Camo Acrylic. I've always been disapointed in the end results of camo acrylic when used in smaller pens, but what can you do, this was a special request for a friends kids.
2%20Camo%20Slimsw.jpg

3 Cartridge pens done in Camo Acrylic, a bit better, but I'm still not thrilled with the pattern...
3%20Camo%20Cartridgesw.jpg

And last but not least, I posted this in another thread about my son getting his black belt, but I love it so much I had to post it again. One of Jeff Powell's Water Dragon blank sets on a Gold Ti Full Size Gent. These pens are HUGE, but I love it. and he does too!!!!
Conners%20Water%20Dragon%2001.jpg

Conners%20Water%20Dragon%2002.jpg

Conners%20Water%20Dragon%2003.jpg

Comments & Criticisms welcome!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Very nice... I've been meaning to try that wenge bleaching trick, but I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks for the inspiration.

wiset1

Love how rich the grain is on the first pen! Very unique...awesome job turning and finishing it

Top Bottom