Blank from Peter!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from angboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

This sierra pen, which yes, does have an oops band... is from a pen made by Peter (wood-of-1kind). Hopefully the oops band didn't take away too much from the blank, but maybe just enhanced it?

200642323431_April202006Small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

I find this one intriguing. Tell me about it. Did Peter make the blank or the pen?
What is it made of?
I like it.

angboy

Peter made the blank- except for that little "oops" part at the bottom closest to the tip. I guess I should have said the pen was made by me, the blank by Peter. [:)][:)] He'll have to fill us in on what it's made of and how it's made! Oh Peter, where for art thou? Inquiring minds have some questions!

wood-of-1kind

Angela,

very nice Sierra treasure. I'm sure that even Bogey's madre would approve of your Sierra. OK, enough of my cheap humor.
-the blank is a combo of MAKORE,CHERRY and WALNUT mix with a dash of birch dowel mix added in. The 'oops' band is nicely added and I would never have known it was there if you hadn't mentioned it. Like your finish as well. Is it done with the BUFFING SHAFT method?

Looking forward to seeing more of your nice work.
-Peter-

Johnathan

Angela - I was just thinking to myself, "Why is she needing so many oops bands?" Many of the pens you have posted lately have had them and I'd love to help see what's going on when the problem occurs. Are they blowing out at one end while turning? Is drilling causing a problem? What's going on? Although your oops bands look great, they should be added because you want to and not because you have to. I hope that I, or someone here can help you out so that you are using "decorative" bands and not "oops" bands.

angboy

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />Angela - I was just thinking to myself, "Why is she needing so many oops bands?" Many of the pens you have posted lately have had them and I'd love to help see what's going on when the problem occurs. Are they blowing out at one end while turning? Is drilling causing a problem? What's going on? Although your oops bands look great, they should be added because you want to and not because you have to. I hope that I, or someone here can help you out so that you are using "decorative" bands and not "oops" bands.

Johnathon- I'm not sure exactly what's happening. On the other post where I posted three pens, two of them truly weren't oops bands, even though they could have looked like it- they were really just ones where I had a short section of a blank leftover and it needed to be just a little bit longer. I think I assembled 10 pens this weekend and 3 had oops bands, which seems awfully high to me too.

I never have problems with drilling- ever since the suggestion was made to put a piece of scrap wood under the bottom of my blanks, I haven't had any blow out at the end (Knocking on wood now). I did have that problem a lot at first. These last few have all happened when I get cocky and start to think that maybe I can go a little faster or deeper. I'd certainly read about the snakeskin blanks and warnings to take very light cuts, but I was almost to the bottom and it was going fine, so I probably just wasn't light enough. I think I just need to exercise more patience!

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />Angela,

very nice Sierra treasure. I'm sure that even Bogey's madre would approve of your Sierra. OK, enough of my cheap humor.
-the blank is a combo of MAKORE,CHERRY and WALNUT mix with a dash of birch dowel mix added in. The 'oops' band is nicely added and I would never have known it was there if you hadn't mentioned it. Like your finish as well. Is it done with the BUFFING SHAFT method?

Looking forward to seeing more of your nice work.
-Peter-

Yes, all of my pens posted recently are finished with the Peter buffing shaft, and I do love the results I get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom