A Blank of Many Colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello Everyone
In Genius 37:3 Israel gave Joseph a coat of many colors. He could of used this pen it may have been a good match.
Evelyn gave me the idea of taking the cut off of the blanks I have used or will be using to make a blank. Here is the end result in a Woodcraft slimline kit. The finish is 9 coats of WTF. I think it came nice. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

I love it. That is the exact reason why I save all of the cutoffs from blanks. Never know what you can create from them.

Jim

Penn Valley, CA

ossaguy

That looks great,the Paduak segment really makes it pop!

Do you turn them round and drill before gluing? Or do you glue up square pieces?

I'd like to learn how to do one,as I have been saving cutoffs.

Steve

navycop

Hello Everyone
In Genius 37:3 Israel gave Joseph a coat of many colors. He could of used this pen it may have been a good match.
Evelyn gave me the idea of taking the cut off of the blanks I have used or will be using to make a blank. Here is the end result in a Woodcraft slimline kit. The finish is 9 coats of WTF. I think it came nice. Any and all comments are welcome.

I heard you mention this at the meeting this morning.. Surprised you did it so fast. Looks good....
I see you used my idea of the piece of corian with a hole in it..

Last edited:

OZturner

Great Idea Evelyn
Terrific Execution Dan.
Did you use seperators, or are the darker edges of some of the timbers from the Glue or from the Finishing process?
They all look to even for Glue or Finishing darkening.
Great work,
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the very nice comments. Steve, all the pieces were let square and glued up with CA and sanded to level everything out. Mike seeing your corian did help with the idea. Brian there is no separators in the mix, I think it's from the CA as some of the pieces soaked up the glue and I had to use a bit more. Harry I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of a herringbone yet and I'm not sure were to start.

Cmiles1985

That looks very nice Dan! I save my cutoffs for when I screw up my acrylic blanks. I have my "daily writer" as a slimline that was supposed to be a solid black acrylic on gold hardware. I screwed up in drilling (unbeknownst to me) and chipped down to the tube while turning. Now it has a segment of Bloodwood separated by white pearl acrylic. I get more compliments on that pen than any others.

elkhorn

Nicely done! I save all my cut offs for the same reason. They glue up to make an interesting pen ans pendants. Once again, great job!

Top Bottom