Blackwood and Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from whiskey359

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskey359

I like the look of these two together. The brass is for more distinction between the wood types. Same polyurethane finish as the Cigar pen. Comments welcome and appreciated (no matter what:)).
200731921141_Amboyna-Blackwood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russb

I like the top half a lot. The bottom shape and the arrangement of the rings I would like to see different. The lower half seems very long, is the the standard length or did you change something?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OK, Mike. You said ....No Matter What....so,

The finish stinks and is dull and lifeless
The brass accents look rough and are all over the place.

Very sharp cool pen[:D] Did you turn the brass with normal tools, and how did you keep the black residue from bleeding into the wood?

whiskey359

I get the brass at Ace hardware in plates and cut what I need. I use a standard spindle gouge to work the pen but you have to careful with the brass and go slow. Its a regulsr European kit I turned to make it look longer. Some kind of optical illusion thing.

leehljp

Member Liaison
That looks very very nice! I have used brass a few times also and it makes contrasting woods look distinctive. I really like it.

mrcook4570

The combination of amboyna, blackwood, and brass is stunning. The cb looks out of place - too wide. Perhaps a simple brass ring to separate the two halves would create unity and symmetry from top to bottom.

alxe24

Love the pen, totally awesome. I would get the CB out out 100%. It does seem too long in the center part, if you did not lenghtened the lower part at all I would taper the barrel different so it doesn't appear so long, and if you could make the finial aout of wood that would be terrific.
The pen looks like it just came out of the shower. Flawless finish.
Thanks
Alex

Mikey

I like the color idea and the execution looks good. the finish looks wavy to me and not very smooth, although I am suspecting that is the camera. The bottom barrel IMO should be less rounded, but overall a stunning pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom