Blackthorn Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kurt Aebi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Aebi

I was commissioned by an author to make some pens for her book signings from an Irish Blackthorn Walkingstick. She is an author of usually children's books, but she recently has had an adult fiction book published about Irish people escaping the potatoe famine and settling around Troy, NY. Her we site is www.mauradshaw.com if you want to check out what she has written.

Anyway, I have already cut into the stick and made the first 2 pens. I have attached a picture of the 2 pens from the stick.

(Such a pity to have to cut up such a nice walkingstick, but that was the only source of Blackthorn that she knew of)

If any one out there has a good source for Blackthorn that has not already been made into something, I would be very interested.

Anyway, it turns okay, just have to be careful as it tears apart real easily and getting started is scary so you cut into the thorn stubbs. It looks nice when finished, well see for yourselves.

200521613843_Blackthorn%20for%20Maura%2001.jpg

200521613921_Blackthorn%20for%20Maura%2002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Very nice pens, Kurt. Considering the circumstances and source of the wood, I have to admit that I like the second one best. If I was using it for autographing books it would be my choice. It has a lot of character!

Docsmith45

Kurt: I really love turning pens that have a relationship to the recipient. It must have been scary cutting into the walking stick. I'm not sure I could have done it. Sure are beautiful pens though. Great job.

tipusnr

I'd have to look it up to be sure but I think blackthorn is really a shrub or bush and thick enough pieces for walking sticks and other turnings is getting rarer and rarer.

Nice pens.

Kurt Aebi

Thanks for the kind words.

Anthony - You betcha my business cards will be there, she actually insisted that I give her a stack to distribute at the signings.

It is a type of shrub or thicket tree and is very similar to Hawthorn. I don't need as big a piece as the walkingstick makers, so I was hoping to find a source in the states if I could. I see it is available in the UK, but I would rather not deal with the hassel of import duties, etc. if I don't have to. Any help is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom