Blacker than Black

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LanceD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceD

Dark and rainy skies today listening to some old 70's music by Black Sabbath and Black Oak Arkansas, finished building two rods for a guy named Black then decided to go black all the way and make a couple of black pens. Jr. Retro in Rhodium finish and black lucite. I really prefer the looks of the Retro over the Jr. Gent.

Thanks for taking the time to look over them and for any comments you may have :).

20077619417_100_1270.jpg

200776194147_100_1271.jpg

200776194259_100_1276.jpg

200776194316_100_1277.jpg

Then the skies brightened up a bit so I thought I'd do something with a little color and off the lathe this one came. A Rhodium Jr. Retro in Magenta Box Elder Burl.

20077619477_100_1275.jpg

200776194729_100_1274.jpg

Afterwards I felt like doing one more closed end pen. This is a stabilized Curly Mango Jr. Statesman fountain pen.

20077619534_100_1273.jpg

200776195324_100_1272.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Curly mango?????

Looked like desert ironwood-GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the rest are great, too. And your photography is EXCELLENT!!!![:D][:D][:D]

Nice group, Lance!!

lwalden

Fantastic- really love the black in the retro best, though. May seem strange, but I prefer the look of the closed end when the pen is closed, but prefer the look of the standard when open- seems like the rhodium at both ends balances out better on the shorter run, assuming the cap isn't posted......where do you source your black lucite?

Stunning combinations Lance.....That mango is really nice, but a classic black pen does it for me every time![8D]

I still am not sold on the retro kits....still warming up to me, but not there yet.

Your workmanship is TOP SHELF![;)]

LanceD

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Dang Lance.. that black one is sweet!! Where did you get the blank? I have to make a solid black pen for my "collection"

Thanks everyone for all the nice compliments. Lee that is the black lucite from Pipemakers.org but you can also get black acrylic acetate blanks from Arizona Silhouette, no. AA-25.

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Dang Lance.. that black one is sweet!! Where did you get the blank? I have to make a solid black pen for my "collection"

Thanks everyone for all the nice compliments. Lee that is the black lucite from Pipemakers.org but you can also get black acrylic acetate blanks from Arizona Silhouette, no. AA-25.

Hi Lance,

Do you notice a difference between the black lucite and the AA 25?

Tanner

Absolutly beautiful pens!!!! You have done an excellent job on all!! My hat is tipped to you, awesome job. I went to Pipemakers building for last two days and they have been closed.[:(!] Long fourth holiday I guess.

IPD_Mrs

While the black screams class and the magenta box elder would be a big hit with the ladies, the curly mango is beautiful wood. I like the fact that you did not gloss up the finish as I think that would take away from the beauty of the wood.

I have look at the few sources I know of and could not find the Jr Retro kit anywhere. Could someone point me in the general direction?

OKLAHOMAN

Lance, just terrific looking on all and your photography is just short of fantastic, no make that just a shade better than fantastic.

Don the retro is a new kit from Craft Supply.
Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
<br />While the black screams class and the magenta box elder would be a big hit with the ladies, the curly mango is beautiful wood. I like the fact that you did not gloss up the finish as I think that would take away from the beauty of the wood.

I have look at the few sources I know of and could not find the Jr Retro kit anywhere. Could someone point me in the general direction?

LanceD

Hi Jim, no not much difference, not that I can tell anyway. The only difference that I noticed is that the lucite has a slightly stronger smell than the acetate. I get a burning sensation in my nose and watery eyes when I turn more than than a couple in a row.

Hi Lance,

[/quote]

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />

Hi Jim, no not much difference, not that I can tell anyway. The only difference that I noticed is that the lucite has a slightly stronger smell than the acetate. I get a burning sensation in my nose and watery eyes when I turn more than than a couple in a row.

Hi Lance,

[/quote]

Thanks Buddy....Rocking great pens![:)]

woodwish

Good job on all those! However, a classic black pen and little Black Sabbath plus some Black Oak Arkansas, just doesn't get much better. [8D]

Please excuse me while I take some time to find my favorite Black Sabbath CD . . . .

Rifleman1776

Great work. I especially like the curly mango. I just acquired a couple blanks and wondered what a finished pen would look like. And you remember Black Oak Arkansas. [:0] Their compound used to be not far up the road from where I live. Lots of stories came out of there. It was a favorite visiting spot for Bill and Roger Clinton.

LanceD

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Great work. I especially like the curly mango. I just acquired a couple blanks and wondered what a finished pen would look like. And you remember Black Oak Arkansas. [:0] Their compound used to be not far up the road from where I live. Lots of stories came out of there. It was a favorite visiting spot for Bill and Roger Clinton.

Thanks Frank. Started listening to Black Oak when I was 12. I own every CD and album they made. I've seen them in concert about ten times. Surprisingly they are still playing and touring.

Cav, sounds like you got a little 70's music in your blood too [:D].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom