Black Wood Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

It's been a while since I turned a non stabilized wood. I had two special people to make pens for to thank them for being who they are, so I decided to make them pens with woods I have never worked before.

This is a Gentlemen's pen made with African Blackwood. It turned very nicely

2006422171439_IMG_4998.jpg

2006422171456_IMG_5001.jpg

This pen is made from some Gaboon ebony, on a Statesman pen. I have ebony in my shop primarily for my furniture work...It was a real plerasure to turn this one!

2006422171357_IMG_5000.jpg

2006422171414_IMG_4999.jpg

I sharpened and honed my skew often in turning both of these...and I was able to capture the shavings of both...they will be given to a close friend who is a turner who uses dark wood dust as fillers for accenting turnings.

All comments and critiques are welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

I'm sure the recipients of those pens will be very proud to own them. They turned out wonderful. Did you use any type of polish on them or just MM ? Just wondering what's the best way to finish blackwood. I have a couple of blanks i want to turn when i receive my Jr Statesmen's from Dario's group buy.

Lance

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />wonderful looking pens! The ebony looks a litte dull in the photo what finish is that?

Hi Johnathan,

I used microcrystaline wax on the ebony...I know that the owner is partial to ebony in this state...the pictures are not crisp either...
Thanks for your kind words

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />I'm sure the recipients of those pens will be very proud to own them. They turned out wonderful. Did you use any type of polish on them or just MM ? Just wondering what's the best way to finish blackwood. I have a couple of blanks i want to turn when i receive my Jr Statesmen's from Dario's group buy.

Lance

Hi Lance,

I used microcrystaline wax as my top finish, but I have seen a french polish on black wood before that looks outstanding..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom