Black Walnut/Pine Cone on a Copper kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Decided to finish this one, but instead of using another piece of Black Walnut, I had this AfghanPineCone laying around....well, it fit on there!

DSC01006.jpg

ExposureFusionPineBlackWalnut.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

This is by far the longest pen I have in inventory. It won't post, so I'm not worried about the length-to-weight issue. And it 'feels' okay in my hand to write with.....

Scott (oh well, I wanted to smell a ton of CA anyway) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Really like that cap! Really don't like it with copper!

Wasn't to happy with it either, but done-is-done......

Closed end pine cone??? WOW That looks like a lot of work. It Definetly paid off!

Still peeling CA stuff off me, takes a LOT of thin to get these things to stay together. Thanks for the nice words.

LOVE the pinecone!! Some are stunning and that's one of the nicest I've seen. Great job!

AK

Was hoping to get a 'flame' from off-center drilling, but it didn't happen. Maybe next time?

Thanks everyone, it is fun doing these, no matter what I'm thinking while turning them and being fumed by gassing CA.

Scott

Knucklefish

Wowsir!

Man, looks great, I even like the copper.
Gotta tell me how you get the pine cone part done. I have two of the afghan cones sitting around my shop I got from you.....I just haven't figured out how to do them.

SDB777

That looks great Scott.

Even a blind hog finds the acorn...or some such thingy!
Thanks much Bob!

Man, looks great, I even like the copper.
Gotta tell me how you get the pine cone part done. I have two of the afghan cones sitting around my shop I got from you.....I just haven't figured out how to do them.

Hope you got some thin CA, gonna need a bunch of it to keep the petals and seeds from becoming shop hazards.
Chop the stem end off with a mitersaw/bandsaw and apply thin CA(soak it in), after that dries start making a blank out of it and keep applying thin CA to all the sides. Drill with a sharp drill bit, and make sure the flutes of the drill bit don't get gummed up(it'll force the cone apart). Glue tube and let it sit for a day. I use my skew on these things like it was a scraper, and apply more thin CA after about 3/32nds of material has been removed(or when it starts snapping apart instead of cutting)....

This sure wouldn't be a 5-8 minute demo at a meeting, that's for sure....unless, hmmm? I got plenty of cones.....

Scott

Carl Fisher

I think it looks amazing...and I agree that I like the copper.

The coloring in the pine cone is amazing and looks really good paired up with the walnut. Great job!

watch_art

I've got a big ole plank of black walnut in the shop I need to cut down into blanks. Nice to see what I can expect from it. Very nice stuff - love the cap as well!

McBryde

Gorgeous pen Scott. I'm kind of partial to the copper myself. I really like the closed end pc top. I like that it looks like a rose opening up on the end of it. Gorgeous pen!

E

Top Bottom