Black Ti, carbon fiber,brass, copper Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

I wrapped this zen with carbon fiber and thought I would try some rod I had bought for making mosaic pins. I taped the rods at the ends where I have my plugs plugging the ends of the tube. I don't know what size the rods are but they were cut into while turning as I suspected they would be. It took very light skewing to turn this once the rods started being exposed. I only had one rod get picked out but not damage so I glued it back in with CA. I have around 10 layers CA over the pen.
Thanks for looking. Comments welcome
Brian Kort
Southern Pen Designs

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RetiredJake

I really like the rods wraping around the carbon fiber. My only complaint is that you keep raising the bar, I can't keep up :tongue:

PaulDoug

Nice!

Actually it is really a great looking pen. The short "Nice" was for that other, to me. silly thread that was started. I like the addition of the rod, very attractive. Give some real depth to the look.

brownsfn2

That is pretty cool. I can't wait to see how this one evolves. Did you have to put a CA coat on top of the exposed brass?

OOPS

I like your idea in general. However, IMHO I think the rods affect the simplistic beauty of the carbon fiber. This might just be me, as I really like the look of carbon fiber, so I might be more sensitive to anything that deviates from the pattern. However, it might be nice to try the same idea on a burgundy acrylic blank, for instance, because I can see where this might be classy design. I hope you keep experimenting, and that my comments are taken as just one person's opinion.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I absolutely love it. The rods really set it off and it has a nice interesting element to it. You could easily have gone over the top and ruined it, but you held back and the result is a very cool pen. :good:

Top Bottom