Black Thorn on gun metal saturn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

This is a piece of Black Thorn I got off a big branch from my dad's house. It was back on a huge brush pile. When I was cutting it a few weeks to a month ago ants came out of the wood like crazy! I needed to make a pen for my 1 uncle so I thought I would give this a shot. It actually turned pretty nice. I used a gun metal Saturn pen kit from Woodturningz. I did dry sanding from 240-600 grit, 2 coats thin ca, 5 coats med ca, and then did wet MM all the way up. Let me know what you think.

168549-438x.jpg

168550-438x.jpg

168551-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Todd, That is really nice!! It's cool that you are able to know what wood to use and be able to pick some up in a backyard without going to buy some. Did you have to dry the wood or pre-treat it with something? Doc

ToddMR

Todd, That is really nice!! It's cool that you are able to know what wood to use and be able to pick some up in a backyard without going to buy some. Did you have to dry the wood or pre-treat it with something? Doc

It had been sitting back there for a year or so I think. So it was pretty dry. After cutting it up I let it set a month or so.

angboy

Nice job on the CA finish, and I like the shape as well. I'm not a bushing-to-bushing turner myself, I tend to like things a little on the fat and plump side, so I really like this!

Top Bottom