Black rope celtic knot Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

My son and I were playing in the shop making pens over the weekend holiday. He was quite enamored of some multicolored laminate a friend had given me and had made a few pens with it. There was a few slivers left of some black and white laminate about 1/8" thick and he had the bright idea of making a Celtic Knot with them. I didn't think much of it but set it up on the table saw so he could see how it was done. Lo and behold the effect was amazing! The interleaving of the colors combined with the knots geometry made it look like 3D rope. He turned and finished the pen and has it in his collection.

Attachments

• black-rope-knot.jpg
    black-rope-knot.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,245
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Willee

I made a post about a week ago saying that sometimes we just try something new using bits and pieces and ... wham ... something special happens.

Your pen looks fantastic. One of a kind and very original.
I would never tell anyone it was an accident ... I would swear I spent months of hard work designing and developing that special rope effect.

Then I would sue anyone else making one like it ... just kidding ... you need to make some more of these now you have learned a special trick.
You might even develop a PDF showing other how ... if you want to share.

I think I know what wood you used ... does Batman ring any bells?

Gary Beasley

I made a post about a week ago saying that sometimes we just try something new using bits and pieces and ... wham ... something special happens.

Your pen looks fantastic. One of a kind and very original.
I would never tell anyone it was an accident ... I would swear I spent months of hard work designing and developing that special rope effect.

Then I would sue anyone else making one like it ... just kidding ... you need to make some more of these now you have learned a special trick.
You might even develop a PDF showing other how ... if you want to share.

I think I know what wood you used ... does Batman ring any bells?

No bells there to ring, I have no idea at this point where the wood came from or what it's called.
I'm pretty sure my son will be very flattered with all the adoration of his pen. Thanks everybody!

Gary Beasley

Heres a couple of views of the material, both the black and white and the multicolor. Does anybody know what this is called and where to get it?

Attachments

• insert-wood-end.jpg
    insert-wood-end.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 155
  • insert-wood-side.jpg
    insert-wood-side.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 143

mick

Craft Supplies used to have it....It's called Color Ply or something like that. I think it's been closed out.

Willee

Heres a couple of views of the material, both the black and white and the multicolor. Does anybody know what this is called and where to get it?

I am thinking that I got mine from CraftUSA.
They called it ColorPly.
There were about 5 different colors and came in a block

Looks like they no longer carry it.

Attachments

• colorply1.jpg
    colorply1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 128
  • colorply2.jpg
    colorply2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Gary Beasley

My wife Dale came up with an excellent replacement idea. Use black palm instead, it looks very similar and the effect should look a bit more organic like real rope.

Drstrangefart

My wife Dale came up with an excellent replacement idea. Use black palm instead, it looks very similar and the effect should look a bit more organic like real rope.

I wonder how that woult look as the knot in a Purple Heart pen..... Dammit, Dad! I'm never gonna get the time needed to turn all these ideas......

Gary Beasley

Well, I tried some black palm. This particular blank didn't have much in the way of contrast like some I'd seen. The effect is nice though. Pen blank is white oak.

Attachments

• black-palm-and-white-oak-sierra.jpg
    black-palm-and-white-oak-sierra.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 104
  • black-palm-knot.jpg
    black-palm-knot.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 107

Willee

Well, I tried some black palm. This particular blank didn't have much in the way of contrast like some I'd seen. The effect is nice though. Pen blank is white oak.

Gary, you are doing such a great job on the celtic knot pens ... would you post some photos showing the equipment you use to make them and perhaps some pointers for those of us wanting to learn?

Did you make any special jigs to cut the blanks?

Gary Beasley

Gary, you are doing such a great job on the celtic knot pens ... would you post some photos showing the equipment you use to make them and perhaps some pointers for those of us wanting to learn?

Did you make any special jigs to cut the blanks?

No jig, I just used the miter on my tablesaw. This is one of those new style swing arm miters with built in clamps and position stops. I would recommend using a clamp to hold the blank in place on the miter while cutting as your hand would get uncomfortably close to the blade otherwise.
I do have a plywood jig I built for the bandsaw to do thinner slots for the knots.

Drstrangefart

The contrast inside the rope doesn't show as much as you probably wanted it to, but the knot does a great job of contrasting against the white oak. I'd be more than happy with the results.

Top Bottom