Black Palm cigar click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

This is my first time turning palm at all. This is a piece of black palm I got in the pith trade. The kit is a gold/gun metal click cigar. I went ahead and for kicks, made the body as straight as I could. This time I did not bow the middle out like I normally do. I have to admit, I like it. Turning the palm didn't seem difficult at all to me. I used a scrapper and my skew for the most part. I did 2 coats thin and 6 coats med ca. I then did my wet MM from 1200-12000. I do see some swirls in my finish on the lower barrel. When I first got the pen together the click plunger kept sticking. I then took a file to the plastic inside the finial and that solved the issue. Let me know what you all think overall.

167098-438x.jpg
167099-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I think it looks great! I didn't even know there was a cigar clicker. That kit looks nice with the palm.

I didn't either, but it is from PSI. Not too bad of a kit, kind of a nice change. Oh, and it comes with a gel refill. :wink:

PaulDoug

I think it looks great! I didn't even know there was a cigar clicker. That kit looks nice with the palm.

I didn't either, but it is from PSI. Not too bad of a kit, kind of a nice change. Oh, and it comes with a gel refill. :wink:

I may have to try one of the clicks. I have never cared for the double twist mechanisms. Guess I am one of the few.

juteck

Nice pen -- you did better on the palm than I ever have. Good job.

I've been eyeballing these click cigars, especially the pencil with 2mm lead. Aside from filing the plastic inside the finial, how smooth does the clicker feel?

Seer

Nice looking pen I love turning Palm if you want more at Rockler you can get a 1x1x12 blanks for $1.99 out here and cut your own. I tend to use alot of thin ca as I get close to keep it from blowing out and basically that stabilizes it. Good job.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
palm pen

that pen looks great. On the cigar a straight barrel looks better than a fatty to me, IMHO, you did a good job on the fit and finish...............

phillywood

Todd, that pen looks very nice, I don't know too much about the cigar pens yet, form looking at them they looked nice, but this one really stands out. BTW the pic. of the black palm we have in the chart is so dark, and I thought the pen comes out real dark close to black ,but I like the color of yours.
Are there different species of the black palm that you are aware. Yours has a much different coloring to it which looks elegant.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Very nice pen. The fit and finish look good. As far as the clicker on a cigar I do not like the look. Maybe because we have seen so many for so long that are the double twist and to me that is what sets this kit apart from most kits. It is a kit that settles in the middle for size and being able to show the blank off. I will not be buying any cigar clicks. But some people probably will like them. That is what makes the world go round.:)

ToddMR

Nice pen -- you did better on the palm than I ever have. Good job.

I've been eyeballing these click cigars, especially the pencil with 2mm lead. Aside from filing the plastic inside the finial, how smooth does the clicker feel?

John, other than the filing part, the click seems pretty smooth to me. You don't get the *click* sound. It is just a smooth press, and then another press to retract. I could see myself buying more.

Thanks to everyone for the nice feed back. I have to admit I was a bit scared to work with palm, but I just went slow and used tools that I knew would be nice and sharp.

ToddMR

Todd, that pen looks very nice, I don't know too much about the cigar pens yet, form looking at them they looked nice, but this one really stands out. BTW the pic. of the black palm we have in the chart is so dark, and I thought the pen comes out real dark close to black ,but I like the color of yours.
Are there different species of the black palm that you are aware. Yours has a much different coloring to it which looks elegant.

Not sure on that really since this is my first one ever. I got this particular one from aussieturner during the PITH trade. If I get more, if lol, when I get more, I will try to remember to take/send a picture of the blank to you.

Top Bottom