Black Ebonite Custom FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RogerBean

RogerBean

Black ebonite with maroon inlays in the cap and barrel. #6 Meisternib and Schmidt converter. 12mm triple lead cap thread. Serrated finial. Based on a picture of an original.

Heavily influenced by the vintage German pens of the 20's and 30's and my favorite Mont Blanc Agatha Christie edition. This one is very understated and I think would benefit from a few shiny bits. I'm working on that, but I really like this Teutonic style. Perhaps on the next pen I can refine the details a bit.

Comments and criticism welcome. Thanks for looking.

Roger

Attachments

• EboniteGer1.jpg
    EboniteGer1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 157
  • EboniteGer2.jpg
    EboniteGer2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 133
  • EboniteGer3.jpg
    EboniteGer3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 164
  • EboniteGer4.jpg
    EboniteGer4.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

I like the pen overall, Roger. But I can't say I'm a fan of the knurled finial. To me it just looks out of place.
I would agree but it was inspired by [this] pen.

Roger, you might be interested in the site of Mike Redburn (mredburn on IAP). He offers custom snake clips Clips 1

AK

Ahh! If it's any consolation, I don't much care for it there either. :wink:

RogerBean

Billy,
I'm getting the impression that you have mixed feelings about the finial. :) It is, indeed, an homage to the Agatha Christie pen, which my then wife to be gave me for a birthday present back in '94. I later learned that that finial was not uncommon to German pens in the 20's.

Actually, it's not knurled. Would be much easier if it was. The Agatha Christie has about 90 serrations around the circumference of the finial. I ground a single point cutter and chucked the finial up in my dividing head on my mill and found that I could only get to about 60 with that cutter. And the single point cutter didn't cut as cleanly as the Mont Blanc either. Back to the drawing board.

The next pen I post will be a refinement of this one, and will use a slitting saw in the mill to cut the serrations. Big improvement. (Unless you just hate the whole idea. :)) But this cutter only worked for a coarser division... around 40 cuts around the circumference.

The next one also has metal connections, which seems a big improvement as well. I'll post the next one soon.

Many thanks to all for the kind words and helpful suggestions.

Roger

alamocdc

Roger, my comments were not meant as a slight of your work at all. It's just that the extra step (in size) for the "serrations" makes it look like an add-on after thought (as it did the original). At least to me. I have a tendency to look for functionality in design and was unable to identify it in that area. Again, my short fall, not yours.

But I also appreciate your homage to the pen from the 1920's. I have a few old/vintage FPs in my collection, so I understand. And I anxiously await your next offering.

RogerBean

Billy,
No offense taken. Not at all. Just joking with you. I really do appreciate all the comments, whether folks love the pen or not. It all helps make me a better pen maker. After all, this is only my third custom pen. I am very much still learning. So thank you.

I have two more to post. Hopefully get one more up tonight. My satellite has been down for over two weeks, messing up my ability to post pens.
Roger

Top Bottom