Black Diamond with Cardinal Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

A cardinal inlay LaserLinz ran on sale a couple weeks back.

I've done maybe half a dozen laser inlays, and when I took the cardinal out of the box it was all busted up, so I figured I'd have to return it. Emailed Constant and he suggested just going ahead and giving it a whirl. It actually went together just fine, and you can't tell where the breaks were. The only issue was the feet and eye, which are so tiny I wasn't even sure there was supposed to be an inlay for them. I found a speck amongst the crumbles that looked like it might be an eye, so in the eyeball it went. Nothing resembling feet, though, so just filled them with a bit of black epoxy. The fill worked out just fine, and, in fact, I wish I would have filled the eye with a contrasting color, rather than the wood speck.

It was super easy to turn and took a CA finish easily as well.

All in all, it worked out.

The kit is the new Sierra from Exotics - Diamond Knurl (in all black).

Attachments

• CardinalPen.jpg
    CardinalPen.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 235
  • cardinal1.jpg
    cardinal1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 183
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Lovely pen !!!! . I've done a couple of those Cardinal inlays from Lazerlinez and they turned out great also !!!!

budnder

Thanks - I've got one more from the sale splurge, a Betsy Ross flag, that I'm looking forward to finding some time to assemble.

The one thing I'm not really comfortable with (having only done a few of these), is that for "single element" designs like the Cardinal, there's no good place for the clip. I decided to optimize for the right handed writer, which is what I think most people do, but the back of the pen looks really naked (just white wood), and if you lay it down wrong, it's pretty naked in that position also.

GaryMadore

Nice work.

I had the same problems with the same kit from the same place: A lot of the pieces were dust when they arrived and I was unable to find feet or eyes in the mess.

Like you, I just filled them; I used dust and CA.

Cheers!

Gary

OZturner

Glorious Pen. Roy.
Spectacular Blank, from Constant, Beautifully Turned, Fitted and Finish.
Great Companion to the Diamond Knurl Sierra Hardware.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom