Black Crushed Velvet Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a Black Ti Jr Gent with some Black Crushed Velvet acrylic . It was made as a gift for a mechanic friend after he went above and beyond to get one of my cars to pass the stupid emissions inspection here in Jersey . This was a tough one to make because the crushed velvet blank was a little less then 5/8" when turned round for drilling on the lathe . It was worth the effort , I love these crushed velvet blanks , they look awesome and polish up like glass .

1_blkcrushjrgent2.jpg

1_blkcrushjrgent.jpg

As always , comments welcome

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Butch,
That is a great looking pen. I have just started a black CV kitless. Finished up my last blanks of the green. The 5/8" semi square blanks are a test of my patience, but like you say well worth it. They polish up and shine terrific. You did a great job.

jttheclockman

Very nicely done. Excellent fit and finish. That should get you a free oil change or two.

Where did you get the blank?? Do they all come in that sized blank??? I guess you need to be pretty exact on the drilling. What did you drill it on???

steve and pam

excellent blank.....and a nice job as well on the pen......
im going to start mixing my own blanks....hope i can do as you....:)

steve

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everybody . My friend loved the pen , he has never had a pen more expensive then a BIC , and he couldn't believe I made it for him .
Drilling the upper blank for the Jr definitely had me in full pucker mode the whole time . When I turned it , all I had to do was taper the ends at the bushings and do some sanding and polishing and I was done , that's how close I was to a blow out . It's nice to know it can be done though . There's a Majestic Jr with some crushed velvet waiting to be made now :biggrin:

Cris , please finish that kitless , I would love to see it . I have made several kitless FP's from my stock of blanks (I posted a red one a couple of months ago , the others all sold before I was able to get pictures) and I must say they are all stunning (and I'm my worst critic when it comes to my pens)

John , I bought almost all the crushed velvet stock that Ed and Dawn had because there is NO more to be found anywhere out there , that I know of anyway . They only came in 5/8" almost square blanks , at least I've never seen or heard of them coming in any larger sizes . I drilled it on the lathe and squared up the blank with my skew , you can't get that precise any other way .

Steve , these blanks are commercially bought blanks , would love to be able to make them but the process is lost I think , the company that made them is out of business as far as I know .

Overall this was an easy pen to make because there was very little turning to do after it was drilled and I'd love to say it was fun but it really wasn't . Heck , I'm still puckered :eek::biggrin:

Top Bottom