Black Cherry Birds Eye Burl Cigar w/WTF

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Deadhead

Deadhead

Made this and three more for a guy on my golf league after he saw one that I made for another member.

Thanks to Ed at Exotic for the photos.

Attachments

• bl cherry cigar clip down.jpg
    bl cherry cigar clip down.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 350
  • bl cherry cigar clip up.jpg
    bl cherry cigar clip up.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 601
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deadhead

Thanks for the comments. What's it worth to ya? ;)

It's a lengthy process. Using a makeup sponge I apply 10 coats of WTF @ 650 rpms, waited 1 min between coats to dry. I use the stop watch on my phone to time and keep track of coats. I set that blank aside and do the other one. Then go back to the first one and lightly dry sand with 1200 grit paper, then 10 more coats; be careful not put too much on so that it doesn't get ripples.

I let them sit for 3 or 4 days; I have a piece of plywood w/ finishing nails in it so they stand on end. Next I wet sand w/ Micro Mesh about 2 seconds for each MM step; be careful, anymore and you may sand through them which I have done. I then apply plastic polish, then buff w/ the two wheel system Barry Gross sells.

Like I said; it's a lengthy process. CA is a lot faster, but I got fed up with that after I had my carry pen in a pocket of my lunch box w/ my IPod and it put a real nice scrape through the finish down to the wood. Not to mention all the other BS associated with CA. I also plan on experimenting with the sanding process to see if I can eliminate the MM wet sanding.

I also have some DR Woodshop walnut oil on the way and am going to try something along the line of what Mike S. @ mikespenturningz does, minus the pen polish for now.

Sorry for "talking/typing your ears off". :biggrin:

SteveG

I noticed that with the finish used, you are able to have a very nice sheen yet still have the texture of the wood, i.e.., the eyes, be easily evident. On some pen styles and some wood type this works very well, and that is the case here. The black cherry with that much grain variation is a real standout. Great work and wood selection.
Steve

Deadhead

Thanks, I'm real happy with the way they turned out. A CA like finish with out the BS.
I got the blanks on Ebay, 6 blanks for just under $21 w/shipping.

SDB777

Using a makeup sponge I apply 10 coats of WTF @ 650 rpms

Ok, color me slow.....but what is the "WTF"? I know what it could mean, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of those times....

And also, where did you get the product?

Scott (inquiring minds don't like CA fumes) B

Top Bottom