Black Ash Burl Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Another addition to my Majestic series. I used a very nice peice of stabilized Black Ash burl for the body. This time I didn't have enough blank to make my finials and clip inlay so I went through ALL my blanks and cutoffs looking for something that would work. Well I just happen to get my order from R&B crafts in time and used part of a Mexican Agate trustone for the accents. I think it goes well with the burl (we'll see what yall's opinion is). CA finish on the cap and body and everything was MM to 12000 and polished with PlastX. Thanks for looking and I welcome any and all comments/critiques!

Also, I'm doing a demo on how I do these mods for my pen club meeting in Sept (the 4th I think) and was curious as to a group opinion of what materials I could use. Woods/Acrylics-PR/Trustone/Ebonite...etc. Something that has a good color contrast that goes well together. Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• 100_8367.jpg
    100_8367.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_8371.jpg
    100_8371.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_8379.jpg
    100_8379.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_8388.jpg
    100_8388.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_8391.jpg
    100_8391.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom D

Jonathon, Need to get Carl to set up the video for later viewing, it looks like I will be in New Orleans during that meeting.

SDB777

Never seen any Black Ash Burl that didn't look good wrapped around a nice pen.

Fit-n-finish is spot on!!

Scott (reminds me to get some of that stuff) B

bgibb42

Great combo! I like the accents in the finials, but the accent in the clip seems a little bright. JMO. Rest of the pen looks awesome, though!

Brooks803

Tom, I'll see what we can do for you. If Karl doesn't have a video camera I could bring mine in.

Brian, it's not as bright in person. Since it's so thin the flash and the light really did a number on it.

Toni, we call the original stone that comes with the clip the pimp stone. These I like to call clip inlays. The pimp stone just takes your eye away from the rest of the pen to where you can't appreciate the real work that you put into it.

Everyone, thank you for the kind words thus far!

hewunch

That is a nice piece of Ash :biggrin:
Seriously, um what finish did you use? (constants, mine or some other flavor?)

Brooks803

That is a nice piece of Ash :biggrin:
Seriously, um what finish did you use? (constants, mine or some other flavor?)

LOL...I still tell that joke! Noone believes a Pastor told it to me. The finish is kinda like neopolitan. I used 1 coat thin with accellerator, then several coats of medium also with accellerator (I have the magic touch with that stuff) and I will sand every 4 coats or so. So it's yours and Constants combined with my own speical seasonings thrown in. It's too bad Monty didn't know to stop by, I had to make a mid finish dash to town for more CA and I coulda bought some of his stock had he stopped by!

Brooks803

Also, I'm doing a demo on how I do these mods for my pen club meeting in Sept (the 4th I think) and was curious as to a group opinion of what materials I could use. Woods/Acrylics-PR/Trustone/Ebonite...etc. Something that has a good color contrast that goes well together. Thanks for any input!

anyone have any ideas?

Top Bottom