Black Ash Burl - I got bored

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from shawnmhill

shawnmhill

I was bored with nothing else to do, so I used one of my last kits. It is Black Ash Burl on a Majestic Kit. I am not a fan of these kits, at all and I know, I know, it still has the "pimp" stone but it's hotter than Haiti in Houston right now!! Turned down corners with gouge and completed turn with skew. Sanded to 600, then applied 10 coats thin CA. Wet 400/600 and wet MM all the way up. Finished with Hut and Ren.

Have you ever had a blank that just doesn't want to shine, no matter what you do?

Attachments

• DSC_0494a.jpg
    DSC_0494a.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 487
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craftdiggity

That is a fine looking item, Shawn. I actually really love the Majestic kits. I've been carrying one daily for a couple of months now and it's the best pen I've ever had.

shawnmhill

I love the weight of the pen but I think the stone takes the focus away at times. I like the Jr Gent/Jr Statesmen style the most. Thanks for the compliment. It's much appreciated. Thank you.

ToddMR

That pen is looking really nice. I don't think the crystal takes away too much attention. I am focused more on the wood. It looks great! I really like the look of the Black Ash Burl there.

johnnycnc

Really nice wood, I'm a sucker for black ash burl.

and sometimes more coats of finish the next day if you can't get the shine.
try a top coat or two of medium ca, over the thin.

wizard

Shawn, That is a beautiful looking pen. The wood is gorgeous. I think the crystal is appropriate on a pen that is elegant looking as yours.

toddlajoie

Was the Black Ash stabilized?

I turned a piece of stabilized Concinna the other day, and I swear it swelled after the CA. Turning between centers without bushings, brought it down to about .005 under size, built up with Medium CA back to about .007 over, and started sanding down. soon started to feel intermittent drag on the sandpaper which usually means I've gone through the CA, so I stopped and sure enough, I was out of CA on one side. Grabbed the calipers, and it measured .004 OVER size, even though I am positive it had already been brought down to .005 UNDER. I sanded off all the CA and measured again, and the whole blank was still between .003 and .005 over size... VERY STRANGE FOR STABILIZED WOOD!!!!

And I ask/relate this, because IMO, sanding, MM, and polishing stabilized but unfinished wood results in a nice semi-gloss finish...

maxman400

That Looks Great, Crystal and all, I just made myself one for my birthday. If you REALLY don't like the crystal send that puppy to me I'll carry it.

Top Bottom