Black Ash Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's from Black Ash Burl, a complimentary blank from Dawn and Ed at Exotics, on a Gold with Sterling Silver Accented Cambridge Hybrid Fountain Pen. I have never turned a burlwood with so many eyes! Finished with sandpaper to 600 grit, thin CA X 2 coats, medium CA X 8 coats, MM (wet) from 1500 to 12000 grit followed by HUT Plastic Polish. After the initial coats of thin CA, the wood seemed to take on a yellow tinge to it. I've seen change in hue when CA is applied to some woods, but this was more pronounced. Not sure why. Anyhow, had fun turning it. I hope you like it. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for looking. Have a great day. Doc:)

Attachments

• Black Ash Burl Cambridge_2.jpg
    Black Ash Burl Cambridge_2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 337
  • Black Ash Burl Cambridge.jpg
    Black Ash Burl Cambridge.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 248
  • Black Ash Burl Cambridge_1.jpg
    Black Ash Burl Cambridge_1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

A gorgeous piece of wood - makes a beautiful pen. I've mostly quit using wood, but your pen makes me want to try that black ash burl.

Nice turning, finishing and photographing.:)

wizard

Brian, Thanks for the compliment. The Cambridge, in my opinion, is not as massive as the Majestic. Pens comparable to the Cambridge are the Churchill and El Grande. Comparing it to the Majestic series of pens, the size of the Cambridge falls between and Majestic and Majestic Jr. Regards, Doc:)

PenPal

Gday Doc,

That Black Ash Burl grew legs and a life of its own completely then absorbed into that kit, the treatment you gave it worked a treat producing an outstanding pen.

Kind Regards Peter.

avbill

many people do not have an eye for putting together the final product. The Cambridge kit allowed the Black ash Burl to stand alone on its own. The gold kit complimented the blank.

Just a beautiful combination.

About its size. its 3/8" longer than a Jr. Gentlemen and 1/8" longer than a Churchill. Yet the weight of the pen is light.

Katsin

Wizard:

Great looking pen!

Did you do anything particular to treat the Black Ash to give it a nice dark look?

I did a Black Ash Burl pen recently and the Black Ash was very light. The only treatment I gave it was one coat of BLO before a CA finish:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77866

I know almost nothing about wood but am learning that how light or dark it is can differ greatly. I know absolutely nothing about staining... is it common to try to coerce the wood color lighter or darker through staining?

Not that I didn't like the results of the lighter Black Ash... I had just gone into that pen with a darker end product in mind.

Thanks,
Katsin

Last edited:

MartinPens

Fantastic pen Doc! Stunning. And I just love the Hybrid kit. One of my favorites. Absolutely love the pen. Thanks for sharing.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wizard:

Great looking pen!

Did you do anything particular to treat the Black Ash to give it a nice dark look?

I did a Black Ash Burl pen recently and the Black Ash was very light. The only treatment I gave it was one coat of BLO before a CA finish:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77866

I know almost nothing about wood but am learning that how light or dark it is can differ greatly. I know absolutely nothing about staining... is it common to try to coerce the wood color lighter or darker through staining?

Not that I didn't like the results of the lighter Black Ash... I had just gone into that pen with a darker end product in mind.

Thanks,
Katsin

I'm sure you will get an answer from Doc (Wizard), but two can be better than one--or not!!

Very rarely have I seen a pen with a stain applied. The natural color of the wood is part of the appeal--generally. Now, emphasizing the natural color with a coat or two of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) or other "sanding sealers" is pretty common practice. So, do we "enhance" the color?? Yes. But usually not stained.

Hope this helps,
Welcome to the addiction!!

Last edited:

ctubbs

Doc, I am from Kentucky and my school did not give me the vocabulary to adequately describe your works of art. Thanks for showing something that keeps me trying. Your quality continues to astound.
Charles

Katsin

Very rarely have I seen a pen with a stain applied. The natural color of the wood is part of the appeal--generally. Now, emphasizing the natural color with a coat or two of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) or other "sanding sealers" is pretty common practice. So, do we "enhance" the color?? Yes. But usually not stained.

My gut was telling me that the pens I see here rarely have their color changed much via any staining techniques but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the feedback.

wizard

My gut was telling me that the pens I see here rarely have their color changed much via any staining techniques but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the feedback.

Ed is correct. In this case, or for that matter with any of my pens, I do not use any dyes or materials to alter the color of the wood. The blank I got from Ed and Dawn was darker to begin with. The wood on this pen has an incredible number of dark eyes and that, I believe, may be part of what you are perceiving as a darker color to the wood. At times, I may use BLO prior to a CA finish to enhance the natural grain of the wood but in this case I did not. The stabilization process can also darken wood, and to a very minimal extent a CA glue may also change the appearance. I hope that helps. Regards, Doc

Last edited:
Top Bottom