Bits of Timber- project #3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

My day continues to get better. Sometime back I had a blow out on the upper tube when turning one of George's blanks (I ignored some of George's advice and paid the price). I sought suggestions on what to pair it up with and even did some trading for what I thought might be a match. Nothing seemed to work. This morning while looking at my super bowl haul it hit me antler! I thought it was an original inspiration but in looking back at my earlier thread, Janster had suggested antler and it did not seem right to me at the time. Should have listened! I am very pleased with the result.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That pen is indeed very lovely ! Congratulations on your success. Looks like a Jr. Statesman .... right?

Cwalker935

That pen is indeed very lovely ! Congratulations on your success. Looks like a Jr. Statesman .... right?

Its actually a triton, the lower barrel is 1/4 inch longer than typical for a triton and the same length as a jr. Statesman. I put a spacer in it so that the cartridge would extend properly. I thought the two kits used the same tubes but now know differently

tgsean

Well done mate, that is a good match up. I find palm root the hardest to turn myself.

Cheers,
Sean

robutacion

My day continues to get better. Sometime back I had a blow out on the upper tube when turning one of George's blanks (I ignored some of George's advice and paid the price). I sought suggestions on what to pair it up with and even did some trading for what I thought might be a match. Nothing seemed to work. This morning while looking at my super bowl haul it hit me antler! I thought it was an original inspiration but in looking back at my earlier thread, Janster had suggested antler and it did not seem right to me at the time. Should have listened! I am very pleased with the result.

Sorry to hear that, you had a problem with one of my Palm root Resifills. I don't know at what stage you lost the half blank, ie drilling or turning but, your save was quite good and one that I may wouldn't think about it either but, the results are very good...!

If you are concerned about handling another of those blanks, you could decided to make it safe/safer and do a couple extra steps to assist with your success.

If the problem is drilling, cut 4 strips of hardwood and CA (similar to what I suggested for handling the angled cut wood blanks but this time , make the wood strips wide enough {blank width + wood strip thickness so that they overlap} them to the blanks surfaces, make sure you give the blank a quick rough sand to make a stronger adhesion, let dry and drill..!

If the problem is while turning, if there is a blank where the Flap disc system shines, this is it, the sand/soil in the root strains can play havoc with any cutters, using the flap disc with a blue 40 grit disc, is like cutting butter in summer time with a hot knife, taken right to the hand sanding stages, from there on, proceed as normal and if you blow on doing this, I will replace it free of charge...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom