Bits of Timber....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Janster

Janster

..from down under. Thanks George, nice blanks! I received the blanks ( 7)
about a week or so ago and have been taking my time as they seem to be, and they are somewhat fragile. I did tape the blanks after cutting to length with a bit extra. I also glued a small section of acrylic to the ends to stop any drilling blowouts! Before glueing in the tubes I used thin CA and sloshed the blank's interior, let that sit overnight and then glued the tubes into the blanks. Turning was a bit tedious. Even with very light cuts I could only make 3 passes before resealing the outer surface w/thin CA to help keep it together. The hairy fibers had been exposed! I used this process 5 times to get the blanks to size. I still dealt with 2 blowouts. One was a 1 piece section and the other was a 4 or 5 piece explosion. I found and replaced the parts and also mixed a slurry to fill a few small voids. All in all I like the Banksia blanks, just not the stress of turning them. Think "Scary Sharp Tooling!" Hope you like the results on this Gent Junior. Be well .......Jan

Attachments

• DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0133.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I never said the prosess was going to be easy Jan !! But the results are fantastic and worth the pain of turning. Wish you had a few more photos of the lower barrel and the pen in the closed position. George always comes through with great blanks !! Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've got a few... I'll keep reading how the rest of you folks figure these out :).

For now they hold a cherished spot on the lathe bed... looking pretty darn scarey!!!

But, it will be a fun ride!

OH beautiful pen and the process description is very helpful! Thanks!

robutacion

..from down under. Thanks George, nice blanks! I received the blanks ( 7)
about a week or so ago and have been taking my time as they seem to be, and they are somewhat fragile. I did tape the blanks after cutting to length with a bit extra. I also glued a small section of acrylic to the ends to stop any drilling blowouts! Before glueing in the tubes I used thin CA and sloshed the blank's interior, let that sit overnight and then glued the tubes into the blanks. Turning was a bit tedious. Even with very light cuts I could only make 3 passes before resealing the outer surface w/thin CA to help keep it together. The hairy fibers had been exposed! I used this process 5 times to get the blanks to size. I still dealt with 2 blowouts. One was a 1 piece section and the other was a 4 or 5 piece explosion. I found and replaced the parts and also mixed a slurry to fill a few small voids. All in all I like the Banksia blanks, just not the stress of turning them. Think "Scary Sharp Tooling!" Hope you like the results on this Gent Junior. Be well .......Jan

I know, I know...! I sound like a broken record but, you have no idea of much easier working with these blanks will be, if you use the flap disc and slow speed (1,000rpm is OK) it will take approx. 60 seconds to go from original size to the hand sanding stages, with only one thin CA soaking in between and then one more before the hand sanding, no blow outs, at all...!

Sure, you can use the normal turning techniques and tools however, that is the hard road to travel, while the flap disc will be of average highway surface...!:).

I don't think that I will be able to make these blanks any more workable however, I said some time ago that, the blanks at the moment are the result of many upgrades and improvements and that I didn't think that I could do much more to it, I may have been incorrect, I'm in the process to try something new with these pods cut in the same configuration, I have not yet tried anything but, I'm getting closer to do so and see if I can come up with something that will be seen as an "improvement", will see...!

PS: I like what you've done with that blank, I like more the fact that, you developed the confidence to have a go, I know how hesitante you should have been, after so many confirmations of close calls to destructions and very gentle touch required. I feel that sometimes it may be a slight exaggeration of events but make no mistake, these are not for beginners...!:wink::biggrin:

PS, PS: While I'm here, does anyone know if there is a chart made by someone here with the measurements of the material left on the tubes, based of the various pen kist used by most...??? Basically, how much "meat" is possible (bushings sizes level) to put, of the various pen kits...???

I recall some time ago someone providing a link to an UK store for a kit that provided the mist "meat" thickness over the brass however, I call also someone mentioning the need for a list of kits with these sort of dimensions but, I don't recall what happened after that so, if you know something, let me know, please...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

OZturner

Great Work, Jan.
Congratulations on Facing and Defeating your Trepidation.
As well as the Feeling of Accomplishment,
You have left as a Trophy, "A Fantastic Pen, with a Magnificent Blank".
Exhibiting your Excellent Fit and Finish.
True Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Top Bottom