A bit of history

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bowl-basher

Bowl-basher

Hi All
As a new member I thought I would show a bit of my work

While visiting Rellies in Melbourne the other week I rescued a small branch from a Peppercorn tree that is growing in the grounds of St. Mary's Church in Glen Eria Road Elestonwick This tree was planted by my wife's Father around 1890. The family has had an association with the church from this time until now and Her brother still lives opposite.
The kits are Executive Sierra kits from Timberbits and the finish is Rustins cut and polished
I intend to do a history sheet to go with each pen and they will be given to the family
love your comments
Bowl-Basher

Attachments

• peppercorn.jpg
    peppercorn.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 395
  • peppercorn1.jpg
    peppercorn1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 100_5525 Tree 4.jpg
    100_5525 Tree 4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi Bowl-Basher,

I remember you well from the Australian Woodwork forum..., welcome to IAP :wink:

Is not often we see a story, the source, pics and pens done with a piece of wood with a difference, Off-course not everyone is blessed with finds like that, but most of the time, these historical trees with some history behind them, the one way or the other, are in fact all around us, everywhere. One would be amazed what could be found just next door is a small effort was made...!!!:biggrin:

We don't always have to take the tree down, to get enough wood to make pens from/with, your example is a good one and the pens are beautifully done, congrats...!:wink:

That history card is the best thing you can give with the pens, I tend to make those cards as part of a wooden box also made from the same wood if possible, and either laminate it and fix it on the inside of the box, use glossy paper to print and fold it in a concertina pattern in a "slot" made inside the box holding the paper on the top end, or even glue the card inside the box lid and coat it with liquid glass to become a permanent feature and clear to read...!

These are only a few suggestion of the used of a history card to go with a pen, many more are possible...!:)

Anyway, is great that you are doing this for some of your family members, they will certainly appreciate your thoughts and gesture, well done, mate...!

Cheers
George

ctubbs

Great job on the pens. The history of the timber along with those beautiful pens will make a wonderful gift to each of the members of the family. If you have room left on the history card, how about a photo of the tree still upright to go along with the presentation?
Charles

Bowl-basher

Great job on the pens. The history of the timber along with those beautiful pens will make a wonderful gift to each of the members of the family. If you have room left on the history card, how about a photo of the tree still upright to go along with the presentation?
Charles

Thanks for that
I have been waiting to get the photo of the tree (as posted) to finish the history sheet it will include photos of the ;;tree,Church My father inlaw,The branch and the three pens that were made from it along with a history
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Top Bottom