A bit hesitant to do this...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RogerC

RogerC

Hi everyone,

As I stated in my intro thread, I've just started turning and thought I was doing pretty well until I looked around this place. Holy cow! There are some incredibly talented, artistic, inventive folks here!

These don't really hold a candle to a lot of the work I've seen here, but I figured I'd put them up as my starting point.

32803625214_2decbed96b_c.jpg

34420083580_6743f2c9e4_c.jpg

34645194842_fc07c657ec_c.jpg

34807818195_541e344f4f_c.jpg

You folks have really inspired me to take things to another level here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerC

Thank you, guys. Really appreciate the nice feedback. There are definitely some details that need to be worked on, though.

Nice pens.:)

I think a really nice blank makes everyone's work look better.
Definitely. And that's one of the things I've realized by looking around here — I need to flex my artistic muscle and start building my own blanks if I want to create something truly special.

Big

Those are excellent, don't short change yourself at all. Keep turning and you will get better and better.

SteveJ

Those are some really nice looking pens. Don't diminish the value and beauty of a wood pen. Although the segmented or cast pens have a niche, a good looking wood pen is also a piece of art.

OZturner

Excellent Pens Paul.
Firstly, you don't have to put down your Pens, what you have shown in this post are Excellent, the First Photograph, displays a Magnificent Blank, Excellently Turned, Fitted and Finished.
On a Hardware Kit, that Perfectly Compliments the Blank.

I believe that you also posted some of these Pens, in the "Introduction" Forum, as the first couple are familiar to me.
All these pens show Considerable Talent and a Great Eye for what Works.

As has already been said, you don't have to rush into Acrylics, Some of the Most Beautiful Blanks that are Hard to Beat are Natural Timber. And there is a lot of them out there.

I can Sense that you are very Eager and Keen to Achieve,
You Obviously have an Excellent Talent, but perhaps what you need is to mix a little more Experience.
Developing to a Stage, where each Pen, is near Faultless, that you have Mastered The Tools, and Finishes.

Then when you have reached that point then start to Design, and Create Your Signature Pens.

Most of us can Run, but it takes a lot of Training to complete a Marathon.
Why not try some Segmenting, if you want to spread your Wings.

I look forward to seeing more of your Pens.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

You have made some nice pens. Even with all the various materials available, I still like a nice figured piece of wood.
To paraphrase a signature on another forum- "If God wanted fiberglass blanks, he would have made fiberglass trees."

Top Bottom