Birthday presents.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I have been trying to get a couple of nice pens for my dad and mom for their upcoming birthdays. I finally came up with these. What do you think?

This one is from a board I bought a few years ago. It was sold to me as birds-eye maple. I seems very dark and everyone says it is something different. I don't know what it is but it sure makes a beautiful pen. Finish is basic CA-BLO.

30-mapleburl.jpg

The more I look at this, the more I like mesquite. It sure has some fabulous detail in the swirling black, brown, and gold details. BB has me hooked. Finish is also CA-BLO.
32-mesquite.jpg

Comments and critics are welcome. Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very nice pens, I'm sure they will be much appreciated! The flare at the top of each half is interesting. Is the "proudness" (to use Lou's term) of the top piece near the center band intentional too? Given what I've seen of your other pens, I would assume so; you do great work! I was just curious from a design perspective. I personally like a smoother transition from the CB, but again, that's just my taste.

BTW, VERY nice pictures, too! Did you make the bowl?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Shane--the pens are very nice, but nothing in these pictures are birdseye maple. In looking at your cigar pens, did you intentionally leave the lower half proud. Tim D. pointed this out as a problem with some of my cigars. In my case, he was right. I measured the fittings and the bushings and found a .010 difference. If you've designed it that way, it's not a problem.

woodscavenger

It's not mequite burl, but from a few other pictures I have seen it may be big leaf maple burl.

As to the other comments.
I flush the nib portion but on most of the other I have tended to create a little lip. To me its an eye pleasing and fingertip pleasing style. I also tend to have fewer tear out beacuse I can come at the bushing from a high acute angle as I roll into the cut. Also, if you go a little deep or stay a little thick it doesn't really matter because it can look like part of the design element.

I also find that the exposed endgrain becomes a little darker and gives a nice transition to the CB or clip. Just my 2 cents.

woodscavenger

Thanks for the comments on the box. I came across a 5/4 board about 13" wide and 7' long. I have gotten a lot of projects out of it. I am working on a few more of those lidded boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom