Birdseye maple window Statsman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cueman

Status
Not open for further replies.

cueman

Here are a couple shots of my latest Statsman pen made out Wenge with birdseye maple windows and alloy rings. Still working on photo quality, getting better, I think :).

tn_Wenge%20Maple%20statesman%201%20Small.jpg
tn_Wenge%20%20Maple%20statesman%202%20Small.jpg

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

Umm, wow. I've always thought pool cue makers did fantastic work but never really thought about applying those techniques and styles to pens. Duh! Learning some of those inlay processes obviously would open a lot of doors for us. Great inspiration for sure.

cueman

Thanks to all. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.
William, my wife said we can adopt you, but only if you are potty trained.[:D]
Floyd, I use the CA finish on my pens. I have a pool cue with an 11 year old CA finish, and it still looks great. I was a little skeptical when I first started using CA as a finish, but it did not take long to realize how durable a CA finish can be, I sometimes drop pen barrels during assmebly(<b>which I am sure nobody here ever does that</b>) [:)] and most of the time they are unharmed. Thanks again.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by cueman
<br />Thanks to all. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.
William, my wife said we can adopt you, but only if you are potty trained.[:D]
Floyd, I use the CA finish on my pens. I have a pool cue with an 11 year old CA finish, and it still looks great. I was a little skeptical when I first started using CA as a finish, but it did not take long to realize how durable a CA finish can be, I sometimes drop pen barrels during assmebly(<b>which I am sure nobody here ever does that</b>) [:)] and most of the time they are unharmed. Thanks again.

Well, the potty training issue rules me out for adoption[:p].
Very nice pen. Makes me want to quit building vises and get back to pen turning. (don't worry, not going to quit yet!)
BTW, are the alloy rings like the ones used on pool cues? I wasn't sure if they came small enough to use on pens.

cueman

Well, the potty training issue rules me out for adoption.
Very nice pen. Makes me want to quit building vises and get back to pen turning. (don't worry, not going to quit yet!)
BTW, are the alloy rings like the ones used on pool cues? I wasn't sure if they came small enough to use on pens.

Paul. Thanks, and I am sorry to hear about your potty training issues. [:D]
As for the alloy rings, that is just my fancy description for aluminum flashing. [;)] I can not find nickel silver or aluminum rings with a small enough hole diameter for pens at any of the cue building supply places I know of. Thanks again.

almer

<br />

As for the alloy rings, that is just my fancy description for aluminum flashing. [;)] I can not find nickel silver or aluminum rings with a small enough hole diameter for pens at any of the cue building supply places I know of. Thanks again.
One thing i have seen over the last 35 yrs i have played pool and last 20 where i have repaired,refinished ,and made some cues is a lot of times the wood expands and cotracts but the metal rings dont so metal will be higher and even crack the finish.I have seen that on some of the best cues fr the best cuemakers.May with metal so small on pens might not happen.Just a heads up

gerryr

Once again, excellent design and superb craftsmanship. You can get nickel silver or even sterling silver from any place that sells to jewelry makers. I used to fool around with silversmithing when I lived in Denver and there was a place there that sold sterling sheet in several different thicknesses.

Paul in OKC

<br />

Uh oh! shoulda kept that secret to your self[:D]

cueman

One thing i have seen over the last 35 yrs i have played pool and last 20 where i have repaired,refinished ,and made some cues is a lot of times the wood expands and cotracts but the metal rings dont so metal will be higher and even crack the finish.I have seen that on some of the best cues fr the best cuemakers.May with metal so small on pens might not happen.Just a heads up Text

I think the biggest reason a finish will crack is due to extreme temperature changes, if cues and pens are kept at room temperature most of the time, I think damage will be minimal. Any dissimilar materials will expand and contract differently, not just metal and wood, e.g. Cocobolo and pine are going to react differently to temperature changes, and if they are glued together with a finish on top, IMO you are going to get a very small ridge in the finish where they meet, the more extreme the change, the worse it will be. This is only my opinion.[:)] I am curious to as what other opinions will be on this topic.

BigRob777

Wow, those are nice. I'm surprised that you used birdseye for the windows. I'd think something with more consistent figure, like curl, or burl. They worked out for you though. I'd love to see some of your cues in the "other things we make" forum.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom