Birdseye Maple Streamline El Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

A couple weeks ago I asked Anthony if his large nib would fit a Churchill and he said if the threads were the same as the El Grande it would. He hadn't made a Churchill and I hadn't made an El Grande. Anthony suggested the Streamline version. So, here's the first one of these I've made. Gold Ti rollerball with a CA finish. Making the cap is a bit funky since it requires two different drill bits, two short tubes and you don't glue the tubes in before turning. If you make one you need to mill the ends anyway before turning so things can fit square. The real bummer about the kit is the ID of the clip ring, you could drive a small car through it. There is absolutely no excuse for it. I like the pen, but that part is really irritating. We shouldn't have to glue the clip in place.

2006103021316_MapleElGrande.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JudeA

All in all I like the look of it. From whear I sit I do not think the cap is funkey. I also like the finish not tooooo shiney but just enough.

mrcook4570

Your finished pen looks great. I had those in the cart just last week and just before checkout, I read the instructions and decided to pass. Based on your description, I'm glad I passed.

Woodlvr

Please bear with me as I ask this question. Is this a Churchill pen kit and how wear resistant is the finish? I spray a coat of polyurethane on my pens to make them shiny and hope that it adds to the resistance factor, but they are too shiny and I would like to tone my pens down. The pen does look great. Thanks.

Mike in Utah

gerryr

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />Please bear with me as I ask this question. Is this a Churchill pen kit and how wear resistant is the finish? I spray a coat of polyurethane on my pens to make them shiny and hope that it adds to the resistance factor, but they are too shiny and I would like to tone my pens down. The pen does look great. Thanks.

Mike in Utah

This is Berea's Streamline El Grande. Are you asking how wear resistant the plating is or how wear resitant the CA finish is?

Woodlvr

Gerry, I was not veryclear with that question. I meant the CA finish, as I do not want any unhappy customers. Thanks.

Mike in Utah

Joe Melton

I just finished a batch of those streamlined El Grandes, too, and marveled at the number of problems I had that I'd not had before.
If you look at the underside of the finial cap, you will see it has a raised section that fits inside the large opening in the clip. It should not be necessary to glue the clip on. I agree it is a squirelly way to design the clip/cap connection.
A nice list member pointed me to a tutorial on this kit posted on the Yahoo penturners' site by Rich Kleinhenz. It was a lifesaver for me, as the directions that come with the kit are not good at all.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom