Birdseye Macrocarpa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DJBPenmaker

DJBPenmaker

First stabilized blank I've turned. Very nice to work with.
fa11d317b95ae4f38b637222c0e4c442.jpg
7af5cd72f55ce018689c46ac53ef85e1.jpg
066d3f550ed9acc6dfb684ffe2d6b7a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What a beautiful wood !!!! . Another red to add to my short list .... Gotta get some !!

Looks really good on that chrome/satin chrome hardware.

Where did you get yours ? . Did you do the stabilization or buy it already stabilized ?

robutacion

First stabilized blank I've turned. Very nice to work with.a3.jpg[/IMG]

Great pics and a great pen.

A good combination of barrel and kit colours/finishes.

Yes, those Macrocarpa Birdseye stabilised blanks come out beautiful and the Cactus Juice made the wood smooth as silk to cut and finish, I was pleased with the results after I got them stabilised and turned a couple as samples.

I really like what you did with that blank and your pics just makes it pop like if is no tomorrow...!:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Congrats,
Cheers
George

robutacion

What a beautiful wood !!!! . Another red to add to my short list .... Gotta get some !!

Where did you get yours ? . Did you do the stabilization or buy it already stabilized ?

Yes Mal, this one came from my "stables", there are various colours, red, green, blue and purple, see here

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

I like what appears to be a knot in the wood. It looks like a dog's face on both sides of the clip.

That knot you are referring to is the "birdseyes" found in the centres of some logs most don't have any they grow in a "strip" pattern there is, if you consider a log 15" diameter and 2' long, if you cut/slice it into 4 quarters, if you are going to find any, will be in one of the quarters very close to the "pith" (centre of the log), the strip will be about 1" square all the way through the length of the log, this means that a full log if it gives you some birdseye, will be that single strip of wood, and that will give you about 4 to 5 pen blanks, not much at all, huh...?

I'm lucky because I have plenty of logs and what I don't use for my blanks, I use it as firewood so nothing goes to waste.:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

DJBPenmaker

First stabilized blank I've turned. Very nice to work with.a3.jpg[/IMG]

Great pics and a great pen.

A good combination of barrel and kit colours/finishes.

Yes, those Macrocarpa Birdseye stabilised blanks come out beautiful and the Cactus Juice made the wood smooth as silk to cut and finish, I was pleased with the results after I got them stabilised and turned a couple as samples.

I really like what you did with that blank and your pics just makes it pop like if is no tomorrow...![emoji3][emoji3]:wink:

Congrats,
Cheers
George
Hi George
Thanks for the compliments but the praise must go to you too for the gorgeous blank. I've already been asked on another forum where I got the blank from!

DJBPenmaker

Hi Mal
I see George has already answered your question in a later post.
It was a lovely wood to turn.

Top Bottom